Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:08:37 AM

Author Topic: Breakout boards as pictured in Mach 3 guide  (Read 4904 times)

Breakout boards as pictured in Mach 3 guide
« on: March 07, 2007, 02:45:49 PM »
I'm new to this type of project and need to get some more clarification before I move forward.

I am moving closer to building/modifying one of our old Apple based CNC mills. I want to drive it using the Mach 3 software. In the users guide it says I should use a good  breakout board. It pictures 3 but does not list any manufacturer. I am runnning 3 slo-syn syncronous stepper motors. 1. Do I need a parallel port for each motor or are different pins assigned to different motors?  2. Where do I find the proper breakout board for my motors?

Thanks for any help provided

Hood

Re: Breakout boards as pictured in Mach 3 guide
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »
Any breakout will do, I have used PMDX122 and it is a nice board and reasonably priced. Also have a CNC Building blocks one in the lathe I am presently retrofitting, its a bit dearer but has some very nice functions but they may not be of use to you.
 As for parallel ports you only need 1 for up to 4 axis but can add another if you require more inputs/outputs for other functions.
Hood

Hood

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 03:59:01 PM »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 04:41:06 PM »
Also, click on the links tab above, look in electronics. Lots of suppliers there.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 07:32:10 AM »
how do I add more parallel ports ? I need more inputs.

Hood

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 08:27:25 AM »
only possible to have two parallel ports, if you only have one at the moment you just need to get yourself a PCI parallel port. If you already have two then there are other ways to get more I/O, one route is a PLC over Modbus.
Hood