Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:36:55 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Driver Test  (Read 36116 times)

Mach 3 Driver Test
« on: January 19, 2014, 06:43:09 AM »
I have recently reinstalled Mach 3 on my office PC and also the workshop one which controls the CNC machine.
Only the office one cab be connected to the internet so I have downloaded to this PC (Windows 7 Professional) and then copied to the files to the workshop PC running on Windows XP
Everything seems to have installed OK, but I cannot run the driver test on either PC.
I have read the Mach 3 manual and tried the "SpecialDriver.bat" file but it made no difference.
When I activate the driver test shortcut I just get "Do you want to allow the Driver test exe program to make chenges to the computer. I say yes but its still not active.
The driver test worked fine on the worshop PC previously.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mach 3 Driver Test
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 07:32:57 AM »
If the Windows 7 is a 64bit OS, the driver test will not run.
On the XP machine, double clicking Drivertest.exe in explorer should install the driver.
If it doesn't, I'd uninstall Mach3 and reinstall. When uninstalling, check the Device Manager and remove the driver manually if it's listed there. Then shut down and restart before re-installing.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
Thanks for the comments. The Windows 7 software is 64 bit so that explains one problem.
Does this just affect the Mach 3 output for machine control ? ie. If I never connect the machine to this PC can I still use it to try G code etc ?

On the workshop PC with Windows XP - I tried to uninstall Mach 3 and got "Cannot delete atl71.dll. I think I deleted it manually but I am not sure.
I got rid of the "driver test.exe." and then reinstalled Mach3 but it still will not run the test driver

Thanks

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
You can still run g-code on the Win 7 machine, but there are some things that may not function properly, as the driver handles some of the functions in Mach3.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for the XP machine. Is it a new install of windows?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »
and then copied to the files to the workshop PC running on Windows XP

What exactly do you mean by this? (It may make a difference depending on what this actually means)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 03:17:14 AM »
To clarify my question.

I understand that If MACH 3 will not run on the Windows & 64 bit set up but will be OK on my workshop Windows XP 32 bit set up when I sort it out.
The Office set up is nice and warm and the workshop cold in winter so I was wondering if I can try g code etc in the office and generally sort things out and then move the g code to the workshop.
It's not critical if the answer is no but it would be useful.

Another question has come to mind ref. my problem with the driver test.
As I have downloaded the Mach software update onto the 64 bit PC and then copied it to a CD for transfer to the workshop 32 bit PC is this going to cause a problem ?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:04:50 PM »
You can use  a 64bit OS for testing out G Code but some things are a bit weird when you are in Simulation mode so you may see some quirks but for normal G code it should be fine.

stirling asked you to clarify what you were meaning but seems you have ignored him,  so I will try ;)
Did you copy over the Mach installer then run it to install Mach on your workshop computer or did you install on the W7 computer then copy over the Mach folder and contents to your workshop computer?

Hood
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:21:57 AM »
Thanks for your further comments.

I am currently progressing a Windows XP reinstall on the workshop computer to eliminate a Windows fault as the cause of the problem.

I certainly did not intend to ignore the request for clarification, but seem to have not done a good job explaining !

The process I used was :-
1. Download Mach 3 from the Artsoft site to my office PC on Windows 7
2. Copy the files to a CD
3. Transfer files the W/S PC running Windows XP 32 bit

Copy the data and licence file back onto the W/S PC

Everything looks OK except that driver test does not work.

I should have the Windows XP reload complete later this week.

Thanks for your help

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 03:29:05 AM »
It is still not clear I am afraid.

You say files which seems to suggest you downloaded the Mach installer then ran it on the W7 PC to install Mach, once you did that you then copied the Mach folder to CD and just copied that to the C Drive on your workshop PC.

If that is what you did then it is no use, you need to download the installer and copy that over to the workshop PC then run the installer on  the workshop PC.
Hood