Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:02:13 PM

Author Topic: g-code to drawing  (Read 6993 times)

g-code to drawing
« on: January 07, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »
title says it all. need to convert machining program in mach 3 back to drawing in bobcadv21. any ideas?
larry

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: g-code to drawing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »
There are backplotters which will convert gcode to a dxf if that's what your interested in.
....NCPLOT does it

RICH
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 01:37:27 AM »
thanks for the response. i downloaded trial version of ncplot but not being proficient with these things, i could find no ino on backplotting. not sure if it will let me do what i need to do without buying. since i just need the drawing for my  logo,(2 initials about .150 tall, .280 wide both of them combined), it wont pay to buy for this small task ,,, i did the logo 5 or so years ago and cant find the font i used (searched my computer for hours).   reason for drawing need, is to inlay these initials rather than filling with dyed epoxy.. thanks for any ideas. perhaps i can figure out what is being suggested,lol
bankshot
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:41:57 AM by bankshot »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:02:28 AM »
Post the gcode.

RICH

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »
Look at NCCorrector. Says it exports in DXF. I've tried it and it's pretty good, but it is a "Work-in-Progress" as it's free. However it may get you close enough.

Another alternative for determining the font is to use a web site called WhatTheFont. You upload an image and it tries to determine which font it is.
My wife has an embroidery business and folks send in their own designs (sometimes) but they don't have a clue as to which font they or a friend or service used.
The embroidery software works best with an original TTF file or an image that's been vectorized.  That's where I come in.. LOL!

No offence Rich, but the old adage "Teach a man to fish" seems to come into play here.
Goodness knows I've learned a lot from my fellow posters here. 
Regards,
Vogavt
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:13:08 AM by Vogavt »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
Vogavt,
I use a program which converts lathe or mill gcode for direct use with ACAD.
I can't share the program as it was created by a friend and that's just the understanding for my use.
There are programs that convert and they cost too much money in my opinion for hobbiest use.
So I test that program a lot to try and break it, never have, and provide backplotting once in a while.

RICH

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »
You might want to look through this thread at cnc zone.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/opensource_software/8814-g-code_dxf.html
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:33:33 PM »
thanks for the responses guys. i cant post the code. its on a dedicated computer in my shop with no access to internet or even a printer. i did find a "convert code to geometry function in my cad cam program. problem there is i have to manually type it in. good thing its only a couple hundred lines..lol  what are the chances ?
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 06:18:25 PM »
Copying the file to a flash drive and transfering it to your internet computer for posting would be a good solution.  :)

Regards,
John Champlain