Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:47:02 AM

Author Topic: No motor movement  (Read 5109 times)

No motor movement
« on: March 03, 2007, 10:25:29 PM »
Hi to everyone,
I am biulding a square column mill conversion and hooked up the X,Y and Z axis yesterday. despite having Mach3 fully operational, pendant working etc there seems to be no comnunication between the computer and the motors, I have checked the port addresses and everything seems to be in order, the only thing that happens is when the engage armature switch is selected the axis all move one way until disengaged or hit the end of travel. It probably is something really simple that Im missing however any help would be welcome.

Thanks
Phil.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: No motor movement
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Hi, Phil

Post your Mach3Mill.XML File , its located in your Mach3 folder, use the Reply button and select Additional Options, file upload.

List your pin numbers for XYZ and if its stepper, servo and any other info you have.

Thanks Chip
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 12:32:49 AM »
Hi Chip,
Thanks for the speedy reply. I have attached the xml file.
I have tried three computers all with the same results-IE drive to full extents on all three axis when the "engage armature " switch is activated.
The system is a closed loop servo system By Lowcost cnc retrofits 3 X MCG ID23-005 / 420oz.in, and 1 Ametek 600oz  the units seem to be of good quality and I have no reason to doubt their integrity, much more likely that its my inexperience.
The first and preferred computer was a P4 1.8gig IBM, I then tried a compaq laptop and my desktop p4 all with the same results.
Pins are:
X axis step=2
X axis dir=3
Y axis step=4
Y axis dir=5
Z axis step=6
Z axis dir=7
A axis step=8
A axis dir=9

Thanks for the help
Phil.

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 12:37:39 AM »
If you unplug the cable from the computer to the servos does it do the same thing? If so:
Did you have to do any of the motor or encoder wiring? If the motor polarity is backwards the servos will just run in a direction and not stop. They are trying to count forward encoder pulses and they are going the wrong direction.

Chad
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 12:40:42 AM by chad »
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 12:48:34 AM »
Hi Chad.
with the computer disconnected and the engage armature switch activated it does exactly the same thing as before.
If the polarity on the servos are reversed it simplr reverses the direction of travel on that axis.

Thanks
Phil

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 01:29:11 AM »
Hi, Phil

Are there any other pin's like an Enable or Disable Pin.

Your Printer port address is set to Ox3bc is that correct most are Ox378 for #1 port. is it an Add on card.

Make sure your Printer cable is a straight through cable and that pins 18-25 there gnd pins, are transfering the gnd line through to your

servo control.

Make sure that your cable isen't a serial 25 pin cable, Parr. port cables pins from end to end 1,1 2,2 3,3 4,4.........25,25.

Try this XML I changed the port to Ox378, put some debounce in config general inputs and set the tool path to last to current.

There probably needs to be an Output Pin to enable your drives, i gess you sed its manual though.

Servos with encoders and motor polarity reversed will  run and trip after the error buffer is full could be whats going on hear, thy should sync right up and

hold position not change direction.

Give this a try, Chip
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:39:12 AM by afn09556 »
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 04:13:33 AM »
Thanks Chip,
Ill give it a go and get back to you.

Phil.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 04:47:30 AM »
Well, no joy there,
It does exactly the same. however if I initiate g code and while the program is running activate the engage armature switch the axis move then trip move then trip.

Thanks for the input though

Phil.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 06:19:15 AM »
Found it,
combination of encoder plugs on backwards and +and - terminals revesred on two Axis,shes buzzing away merrily now. Thankyou to all who helped very much appreciated! Ill certainly keep up comnunications with your group.

Phil.

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 10:05:52 PM »
Good glad you got it going..

Chad