Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:44:41 PM

Author Topic: Troubles with PWM output Voltage  (Read 8987 times)

Troubles with PWM output Voltage
« on: December 15, 2013, 01:14:26 AM »
I'm having some trouble trying to get an PWM  output voltage through A gecko g540. Ive checked pinouts, pulleys, tried different htz settings in mach and Smooth stepper config. I'm just testing the output first to verify I can get 0-10v first before I go any further. I have SX3 converted machine and have installed the x4 spindle board which is setup for pwm and is optoisolated an would like to know if theres any suggestions out there on what I may be doing wrong. I did get 9.5 volts through the geckos vfd output with a 9 volt supply and believe its not the gecko. So I have to think its something in mach that I'm missing.
Re: Troubles with PWM output Voltage
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:15 AM »
I also tried motor tuning under spindle several times trying different configurations and I still get no output. On the gecko I am using both output 1 & 2 for mist and coolant is it possible this could be interfering. I also ticked and unticked the relay spindle in config and no change. Greatly appreciate some pointers or suggestions. 
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:28:50 PM »
Have not had any success with figuring this out. Been racking my brain for days and still no voltage. Pin 14 on the db25 connector on the g540 correlates to the vfd pwm output
terminal  8 .   Spindle enabled in motor outputs  step pin 14,  dir  pin 1,  step and dir 1 and 1. both step and dir active low not checked tried it both ways. What am I doing wrong.??
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:07:40 PM »
Hi,

what exactly is the  x4 spindle board ? Is it the VFD or a PWM to 0 -10V converter ?

a picture or drawing or a link to a site about it woud help.

To me it looks like you try to wire 0-10V output to a optoisolated PWM input ???

I did get 9.5 volts through the geckos vfd output with a 9 volt supply and believe its not the gecko

Did you get 4.75V when you half the Speed ( S ) command?

alex
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
X4 is A  PWM to 0 -10V converter ? But trouble is not here its in the gecko, Can't get 0-10v out at any speed through mach.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »
in members docs there is a PDF file regarding PWM and smoothstepper, that was a great help to me.

www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,15457.0.html

alex
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:09:48 AM »
This looks to be full of info thank you very much I will check it out.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
I may sound stupid but  I just need to make sense of this. Still not getting what I want. Does the gecko need 0-10v initially coming in then mach converts this according to my signal or does the gecko have a 0-10v freq and i just control it according to my settings 100rpm 1000rpm etc and voltage goes from there into my spindle board.
The x4 spindle board consists of Terminals marked +12,  +5,  AVI,  RUN/STOP,   F/R,  PWM,  GND.   
When I  jump PWM to GND. on the x4  I get a small burst of movement, which i'm assuming it needs to see pulses and not just a constant high or low signal. 
Basically tried most  settings in this spindle guide that you showed me and I'm still not getting any voltage from gecko. Is there anything through the smooth stepper that could be helpful.
Not giving up yet with the gecko but I dont think thats the problem. There are no connections from  the gecko to the x4 yet because no voltage output 0-10 from the gecko g540 means no movement. I feel no reason to try it until correct output voltage is achieved. I have A c10 bb laying around somewhere have to dig it up and possibly do some changes with my output 1& 2 on the gecko and see if this makes any difference. And maybe changing pins again to see if that works and eliminate existing outputs for coolant control from gecko to c10.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »
The gecko converts an at pin 14 incoming PWM signal to 0 to10 Volts analogue output to control the VFD

Does the gecko need 0-10v initially coming in

no, it needs the PWM on pin 14

so far as I understand the manual the gecko needs a source voltage from the VFD for the 0 to 10V output

pin 7 VFD Ground

pin 9 VFD +10VDC

pin 8  0 to10V   to VFD input

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »
Ok so I tried the 9 volt battery test. I input 9.5vdc and Output turns into 6.5vdc. I have tried to change through mach and no change happens, 6.5v at all times measuring at the 7 & 8 terminals. Any ideas why this is not getting the full 9.5v output?