Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:55:47 PM

Author Topic: configuring lpt1 and port and pin configuration  (Read 8495 times)

configuring lpt1 and port and pin configuration
« on: November 20, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
Help ???,
            The computer I am trying to configure with the controller is using a pci parallel port on lpt3.  There are three sets of  I/O port numbers when  I check the properties resource.  Is it the first pair of numbers?  I ran the driver test and got no errors. I reset the estop error.  Can anyone tell me how I can determine what port port and pin settings for each axis.  I stated earlier, that this is a machine I just purchased. Unfortunately the first owner could not be located to acquire any of the oem discs or documentation.  The spindle will run from the keypad on the machine.  Any advice you guys can give to determine the factory settings of the ports would be very appreciative.  I will post some pictures-Joe
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:23:25 PM by Joeroth1 »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: configuring lpt1 and port and pin configuration
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
Attach your xml and I will have a look at your config, that may help me understand your issues.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
Is xml file in the mach 3 folder?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:31:46 AM »
Yes, if you open Mach and look lower right you will see the name of the profile you are using. If you then close Mach and browse to the Mach3 folder you will see a file of that name with a xml file extension. Copy it to your desktop and rename to something unique, such as Joeroth1.xml then use the additional options button on the reply page to attach.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:17:34 AM »
Hood,
          here is  the xml.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:52:15 AM »
Ok few things in your xml, you have limits and home switches enabled but set to Pin 0, so I presume you dont have any connected. If that is the case just disable them.
I also note you are set in Inch units but your Steps per unit for the motors seem very small, they are 320, I would be expecting at least 10 times that and possibly 100 times.
Your Velocity is also exceptionally high for imperial units.
Maybe you are meant to be set up in metric units?

regarding your PP address, it will likely be the first 4 digits in resources.

Hood
Configuring in Metric
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 07:31:35 AM »
Hood,
         thank you for such a timely response.  I don't know what time it is Scotland but is pretty early here in NJ.  I chose the imperial units only because i assumed that would be how the DRO's would display.  Being that the machine is Chinese, I assume they would configure it in metric.  would that unit selection only be for configuration.  After it is configured is there a setting to change the units to imperial just for DRO's.   I am running the mach on a older computer using XP.  I stumbled on the checklist you provided to optimize the xp.  I am going to follow those steps since I intend to only use this machine as the controller now.  Is there a standard  list of config settings for a metric single spindle machine. I realize there are a lot of configurations but you would think the manufacturer would try to keep the configurations as standard as possible.  Here is a pictures of the stepper drives. I will post some more later-JR
Thanks for the input, it is so frustrating to be almost running.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
configuring lpt1 and port and pin configuration
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
Joe, do you think in metric or imperial? Set it up the way you think or work.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
Ok if it is a Chinese machine then it has most likely been set as metric so multiply steps per unit by 25.4 and divide velocity and acceleration by 25.4 and you should have numbers that are reasonable for Imperial units.

Regarding the optimisation, I wouldnt do anything like that unless I had to. Run the driver test and see how your pulse is, if the line is smooth then no optimisation is required.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
Hood, 
         There is no markings on the steppers to suggest what size they are.  I am feeling a little dumb at the moment.  Maybe a sandwich will bring back my smarts.  I still cant get the axis's to move.  There is a large number on the DRO for the y and a negative on the x. I took pictures but have to convert to a jpg will post soon-JR