Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:51:03 AM

Author Topic: configuring lpt1 and port and pin configuration  (Read 8494 times)

Re: configuring lpt1 and port and pin configuration
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
Hood,
         the good news is that I configured the ports and pins and now am able to get sound and movement out of all the axis's  but I believe the motor movement profiles are still incorrect.
can you enlighten me on setting up a proper profile?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:42:02 PM »
If the motor tuning was originally correctly set for metric units and you wish to use imperial units then just multiply Steps Per Unit by 25.4 and divide Vel and Accel by 25.4 then press Save Axis and move to next axis.
If they were not correct then you have to work out the steps per unit from your hardware. You could also use the SetSteps button on the Settings page, it will walk you through some steps and calculate the steps per unit for you. However it is not the best way as it will only be as accurate as your measuing, that may be good enough depending on the machine type.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »
Hood,
         my x axis will only travel in the + direction (to the right if you are facing the machine.  y and z both work but will jog in the same direction regardless of + or - KEYPAD SELECTION.  They will work fine if you jog y - then move z axis or x axis in either direction then jog it +  Is that normal.  The coordinates on the DRO don't seem to have anything to do with the actual location. How do I reset all the homes to 0?  I know this is available in the manual but I need a break from it for a bit. Happy Friday-Joe

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »
Sounds like your pin assignment is all wrong, do you have any documentation on the hardware you are using? It should tell you which pin is which.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
I,
  recently purchased a used chinese 4x8 cnc with regenerative blower.  There is a 6.6 hp water cooled spindle.
I could not locate the mach 3 dat file or xml.  I purchased a new mach 3 license and have been manually trying to configure the machine.
The machine has Leadshine m860s stepper drives. I am not sure what kind of power supply and dont think there is a breakout board,
I think the drive wires directly to the parralel port. The Y has two nema 43 stepper motors which  drive the rack and pinion with a 1" pinion gear and a 4" plastic reduction gear.
the gantry runs on a linear bearing rail.  The x has a single stepper with a 20 mm 6tpi ball screw. The Z has a 16mm 5tpi ball screw with about 7 inches of gantry clearance. Through trial and error,
I found the axis would jog in mach if I enabled xyz and then set step and direction to x-3-4, y 5-6, z 7-8. I also am able to jog all the way into the limit switches. They then get stuck and the machine
has to be powered off and then manually turn the screw to get it to move away from the switch.  I beleive i have the soft limits set correctly in the motor home config.
however the DRO have numbers that are way out of the limits.  I dont see a table layout on the screen in mach 3.  I am starting to understand the way mach communicates to
the machine via the ports and pins but am wondering what the proper configuration sequence is?  I dont know what the proper settings are and how to determine whether they are active low or high.
I dont think i have the motors tuned correctly but they are working and moving fairly smooth.  i dont think i have the right home inputs to outputs.  is there any documentation on setting up a router,
for the first time which will aid in configuring all the proper setting or is it a case of trial and error to get it all working smooth.  Please offer some guidance and sequence.'[

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
You will have to find out which pins are connected to which functions and then set them up in Mach.
It should be relatively easy to trace especially if it goes direct to the port rather than via a breakout board.
Hood
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
Hood,
          I posted a message before that one but it didn't register.  I wrote two detailed messages this morning just to keep current on my progress. In both instances the forum timed out and logged me out erasing my detailed messages.  >:( >:( >:( I also cant get a picture to post here.  I will try and rename it and repost later.  I thought you might say I have to trace which pin is wired to each output.  Is there any system for this?  I guess first I need to figure out what the limit switches are wired to then correspond the input to that pin in the Mach right??  I am starting to wrap my head around how  Mach communicates to the drives.   How would you approach tracing all the pins?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
You could try the auto setup for things like limits etc, I have never used it but some do. You will find it in Ports and Pins Inputs page.

Hood
Setting up homing and limits
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 10:30:46 AM »
Hood,
           I tried the auto setup but It is not communicating with any of the limit switches.  There is one swith on the left of the x,  one is at the top of z and, there are two at the front and back of gantry on y carriage.  If they are wired to the drivers would they all be output to mach on the same pin say 15?   or should they all be set to a separate pin 10 11 12 13?  Then, would I set the soft limits using 14 15 16 17 output to match 10 11 12 13 input?    How is it commonly done I guess is my real question.  do I first get the hard limits communicating to mach, then set all the soft limits and home positions in mach and output them to the machine?   

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »
If the limits go to the drives then you will either have to fit home switches and connect to Mach or you will have to do a set routine to set your machine coords to zero at a defined, repeatable position. That is the only way you will be able to set the values for your soft limits.

Hood