Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:58:58 AM

Author Topic: Drill Mill Hole Primer- Suggestions?  (Read 5769 times)

Drill Mill Hole Primer- Suggestions?
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Can anyone point me towards the best info in the videos or manuals on how to drill some 1/8" x 1 1/8" holes in MDF. My router is cutting outside the hole.

Thanks, I searched here and Mach 3 on Yahoo but couldn't come up with anything.
Re: Drill Mill Hole Primer- Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
More info would be helpful to answering your question.  Are you wanting to cut slots, or drill deep?  Are you using a CAM program to generate gcode?

John Champlain
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
I'm drilling 1/8" x 1 1/8" holes into my 1" thick MDF table top. I use ACE to convert DXF vs12 to gcode.  Load that to Mach3, and set a feed rate.  Everything so far converted has reproduced pretty well.  It cuts a circle very nicely and exactly replicates drawing. But that's a 1",2" etc circle.  Not a 1/8" hole.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:45:54 PM »
You should be drilling the 1/8" holes not trying to mill them. I don't think you would be able to circle mill 1 1/8" deep with a mill less that 1/8" in diameter(;-)

I would first spot the holes then drill the holes to depth with a carbide or cobalt drill (very rigid).

(;-0 TP
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
Adding to Terry's advice, you might look at using one of the hole wizards supplied with Mach3.
John Champlain
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
I use drill/mill wording for the same operation.  So I guess what your saying is that I can't put a 1/8" router bit in in my router and set about drilling 1/8" holes on 1" centers? 
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »
I suppose it matters as to what you are using for a bit.  Drill bits are shaped as they are for a specific reason - they work.  Few, if any, router bits (end mills?) are suitable for deep drilling of holes.
John Champlain
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
It's mdf.  Very easy to stick a router bit through.  Especially if your coming directly into it from above.  At a reasonably slow rate.  The router also has a quarter inch collet.  I would imagine there are 1/8" drill bits with 1/4" shafts I just haven't seen any.  So it makes sense for me to drill (not mill) these 4000 so so holes with my router.  My problem lies in getting Mach to recognize that the hole is 1/8" in diameter and the cut is not to be cut around the holes circumference.  Thanks for any help.  Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »
Joe,
That doesn't sound like a Mach3 problem, more likely Ace Converter.  I've drilled lots of holes with Mach3, and all were as they were supposed to be.  It's been a long time since I used Ace converter, but I don't remember it having a drill function.  So it is probably treating holes in your DXF drawing as circles to be milled on the line, making your 1/8" holes 1/4" diameter.  Yes?  Give the hole wizard in Mach3 a try.
John Champlain
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 10:48:10 PM »
I'll probably need another gcode converter then.  I have tons of holes, particularly 1/8" that will be cut on the arc of a panel of a stitch and glue boat.  Every six inches a 1/8" hole.  Maybe 500-600 for a small stitch and glue kayak.  I'll do some searches on the forums and online.  I will only buy free demo software.  I don't buy software anymore that I can't try.  Any suggestions?