Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:12:17 PM

Author Topic: Is anyone using a VFD that is NOT "Chinese Huanyang VFD"  (Read 9785 times)

Is anyone using a VFD that is NOT "Chinese Huanyang VFD"
« on: October 05, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »
I have the Chinese Huanyang VFD & Spindle from ebay. But I would like to upgrade to a better drive. So if you are using something other than the Chinese Huanyang VFD. Please tell me about it. I have looked at the GS2-23PO drive from Automation Direct but i can't find any information on how to control the drive from Mach3 running the Mach3 2010 Screenset.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone using a VFD that is NOT "Chinese Huanyang VFD"
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
I run a GS2 and control it over modbus. You could control it over modbus or the digital inputs if you want mach to control it. You can operate it from the front panel if manual operation suites you. List your requirements and I'm sure you will get some suggestions on how to do it. My suggestion is to do it over modbus. This will have very little to do with your screen. Watch the video tutorials on modbus and download the manual for the drive. All the addressing and parameters information is in the manual. You can get Qmodbus for free. Its a nice app I use to help answer modbus questions. Get the drive, wire it up to your spindle, use qmodbus to turn it on/off/fwd/rev and adjust the freq. Once you get the hang of it will be pretty easy to set Mach up to control it.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
Most people not using the Chinese VFD are using Hitachi's. They run about $200-$250. I believe that they also use Modbus. Their may be a thread here about using them. If not, there's definitely one at CNC Zone.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
I run a GS2 and control it over modbus. You could control it over modbus or the digital inputs if you want mach to control it. You can operate it from the front panel if manual operation suites you. List your requirements and I'm sure you will get some suggestions on how to do it. My suggestion is to do it over modbus. This will have very little to do with your screen. Watch the video tutorials on modbus and download the manual for the drive. All the addressing and parameters information is in the manual. You can get Qmodbus for free. Its a nice app I use to help answer modbus questions. Get the drive, wire it up to your spindle, use qmodbus to turn it on/off/fwd/rev and adjust the freq. Once you get the hang of it will be pretty easy to set Mach up to control it.

Brett

I am not familiar with the modbus controls. What type of cable do you use to connect the vfd to the PC?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
The cable and its connections are covered in GS2 manual. I used some cat6 with I think it is an RJ12 connector and I used a usb to 485 adapter at the pc with screw connectors for the serial side but you could just use a serial connector (DB 9) if your PC has a serial port. You can find all sorts of usb to serial adapters. Automation direct sells some and cables to go from adapter or serial port to drive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RS485-FTDI-interface-Converter-BOX-/280710974429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415bad8bdd

Brett

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »
I have used both of the mentioned above BUT I ran them as analog input. NO modbus or serial to fool with. 

(;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 10:10:11 PM »
The cable and its connections are covered in GS2 manual. I used some cat6 with I think it is an RJ12 connector and I used a usb to 485 adapter at the pc with screw connectors for the serial side but you could just use a serial connector (DB 9) if your PC has a serial port. You can find all sorts of usb to serial adapters. Automation direct sells some and cables to go from adapter or serial port to drive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RS485-FTDI-interface-Converter-BOX-/280710974429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415bad8bdd

Brett

Brett,
How is the KMTronic hooked to the PC? Does it come with a cable for the USB port on the PC?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:18:29 PM »
I have used both of the mentioned above BUT I ran them as analog input. NO modbus or serial to fool with. 

(;-) TP
Could you post more details about your wiring. I would like to buy a better VFD Drive but I have not been able to get any details on how to connect the VFD to my PC running Mach3. Before I spring the $$$$ for a drive I would like to know what cables to get to hook up the PC to the VFD Drive. I've seen some VFDs that have built in RS485, so do I need an USB to RS485 interface at all?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 12:16:43 AM »
I cant remember if the one I got came with a usb cable or not. I don't think it did. It used an a male to b male cable.

Brett

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »
IN both cases I used a Step to analog convertor so that I had 0-+10v to work with. Then you simply wire it direct to the VFD for speed control then you also wire a signal to run CW or CCW.

It does not get any more dependable or simple to hook up.

Just a thought, (;-) TP