Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:57:46 PM

Author Topic: Is anyone using a VFD that is NOT "Chinese Huanyang VFD"  (Read 9784 times)

Re: Is anyone using a VFD that is NOT "Chinese Huanyang VFD"
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
IN both cases I used a Step to analog convertor so that I had 0-+10v to work with. Then you simply wire it direct to the VFD for speed control then you also wire a signal to run CW or CCW.

It does not get any more dependable or simple to hook up.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

I hate to admit but you are dealing with someone here the is a little illiterate when it come to some electronics. Could you be more specific in your instructions of the wiring for the VFD. Where would I find more information about "Step to analog convertor"? 

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:39 PM »
Step - Analog converter
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=58&osCsid=401b9415e28ad76ee028c0fc941a877f

I use this one on my Hitachi. Works like charm. I only use it for the fwd/rev function though. I prefer to manually control the spindle speed with a potentiometer, and that is wired directly to the VFD, if I remember correctly. A couple things to keep in mind when getting a VFD is to make sure it can use modbus, if you intend to have modbus. Not all of them can. You might want a breaking resistor to stop the spindle too. Some VFD's require an additional piece of hardware in order to connect the resistors. The additional hardware can cost as much as the drive itself. The hitachi sj200 (probably other models too) does not require any additional equipment (other than the resistors) and is modbus capable. There's allot of bang for your buck, and I suppose that's why they have a large following.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
Braking resistors aren't required on a spindle motor unless there is a heavy inertia load on the motor. End mills or tool bits don't have the mass to do this. Motors act as generators when the rotor is being spun by an external source after the power is removed. All VFD's can absorb a fixed amount of this voltage. Braking resistors absorb motor's feed back voltage when it exceeds the drive's capability limit. Unless the drive deaccel  is set for 0.1 seconds a braking resistor is a waste of money, wiring and panel space. A 5 or 10 second deaccel rate will not trip the drive.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »
That would be your opinion not mine I always attatch and use the braking resistors with a VFD for spindle use.

Money WELL spent in my opinion.

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
And if you have an ATC, you don't want to wait 10 seconds for the spindle to stop.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
Well I'll tell you what BR549... disconnect the braking resistor pack and see what happens. Run the spindle motor to 24k RPM and push the drive stop button... If the drive doesn't trip on high DC bus voltage you have a $200 paper weight taking up space in your panel. Some people on this site have little or no electrical background and give out bad if not dangerous and costly advice.  

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
I have 2 dead HITACHI drives sitting here(not mine) with blown final drives from running without the resistors AND trying to stop fast. I tried to tell them what would happen but some people never learn. (;-) AND no Hitachi would NOT warranty them either. YES they will tell you it should work fine but experience dictates otherwise.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 01:55:18 PM »
That would be your opinion not mine I always attatch and use the braking resistors with a VFD for spindle use.
Money WELL spent in my opinion.

Ditto. Cant be waiting around for spindles to stop. Time is money. Parts need to go out the door, and I don't want to spend any more time in the shop than what I have to. A breaking resistor cost what..less than $15. I'll take that any day of the week. Lets see how this breaks down, and I'm being conservative for my machine use....10 seconds X 100 = 16.6min per day X 5 = 83 min per wk. One 5 day week is bad enough, let alone months or a year. That's not just lost time either, its lost production as well. Your right, some people on here do give bad, costly advise. Good thing we have great people like Terry (BR549) that freely give their vast knowledge to the masses.
 Thank you Terry.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 05:20:04 AM »
Pardon my ignorance but are the Huanyang drives that bad? I am waiting on delivery of a Delta, are they any better or worse?
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 05:22:22 AM »
I am using a Teco drive from FactoryMation and it works fine.  The Spindle was designed by a guy in St. Pete, FL but built in China.