Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:28:26 PM

Author Topic: Denford Cyclone retrofit  (Read 26006 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Denford Cyclone retrofit
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
The big benefit I see to the kflop and its addons is its versatility but that is also its greatest detraction. If you are comfortable with C++, or whatever it is, then it will work well, if you just want to hook things up and have them work then its a   poor choice.

Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »
Progress had stopped on this due to a couple other more pressing jobs, plus I was still dithering over how best to make the required toolholders for the turret.

However I've added to the Denford collection in the form of a Novamill, and the first toolholder has had the underside machined. The critical size came out perfect being a nice tight fit in the turret, so I just need to drill & counterbore the mounting holes, face the sides, then get it drilled & bored to size. Oh, and make several more.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »
What size boring bars can the lathe take?
How you going to bore them?
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »
Whatever I can fit in the holders!
The original holder drawing states a 22mm drilled hole, finished to 25mm fitted to the lathe turret, which suits me. I can get sleeves for whatever boring bars I'm using, which are 8 and 10mm just now, and I can also use the same ER holders as I made for the Connect which avoids lots of custom holders for various drills.

I'll drill them so far on the lathe itself, then swap them to the big pillar drill to drill them to whatever drill I have near 22, then refit them and bore them to size using a boring head in the lathe chuck. That way I can get 6 done per borind head adjustment :-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »
I did similar, tried using a reamer but it wasnt the best, probably because the reamer was half knackered but got a decent job with the boring head.
Will you not manage to poke the hole through at the 22mm on the lathe?

Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 06:33:47 PM »
I'm not sure if the spindle and Z-axis would have enough power for a big drill.

It's only a 2.0KW motor at 2450rpm, so at big drill speeds I'm not sure if will have the torque, plus the Z-axis gearing is on the conservative side for force.
According to HSMadvisor, a 22mm drill should be aprox. 850RPM requiring about 0.9KW, and assuming the spindle motor is roughly constant torque, at 850rpm it's only capable of 0.7KW. However that doesn't allow for a pilot hole...
I'll run the figures through my more advanced spreadsheet at some point, as it's always worth a try!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »
worst that can happen is you fault things and have to remove and drill on the pillar :)
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
I know. Still has the challenge of securely mounting a MT taper drill in the lathe though!

Bit off topic, but what version of Dolphin do you have for mill?
I've got a 3D profile saved as a STL that I'd like to machine as a gift for a mate, but I'd like to do it with a custom toolpath to get the cutlines going a certain way, and was wondering if Dolphin Pro would be able to acheive it.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »
Probably get enough grip on the end of the drill before the taper, have done that plenty of times but think I may have used a capstan sleeve when I did mine.

Its just the standard Dolphin I have, not the 3D, never used it for Mill at all, only Lathe. Now using BobCAD and it seems nice from what I have done so far in it, again mostly Lathe stuff.
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 06:58:28 PM »
I'm using CamBam for the mill, as I just didn't get on with the Dolphin trial, however I'd like a tool path that CamBam can't currently create.

I'll be in the market for lathe CAM early next year (I need time for the finances to recover after this retro, and buying the Novamill!), so it would be good to hear what you think of the options.