Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:52:27 AM

Author Topic: Denford Cyclone retrofit  (Read 25868 times)

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
Denford Cyclone retrofit
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:36:46 PM »
Whilst lounging about on holiday last month, this popped up on the radar

New Toy by mc_mtb, on Flickr

Once back from holiday, I had been planning to order all the bits to get my Matchmaker mill up and running, then look at getting something bigger to replace my little Conect lathe, however this Cyclone happened to pop-up just before I ordered anything.
My main reason for purchasing it, is it's a 35mm through hole version, which ties in nicely with my future plans. It also comes with a 6 position toolchanger.

Initially I was going to go a for a quick retrofit using a PLCM-E3 controller coupled with the PLCM-B1 BOB as the BOB is 24V tolerant, so connecting everything would of been reasonably straight forward, with the only other items needed being a couple stepper drivers, a bridge rectifier, and a big capacitor to give me a power supply for the steppers, however the PLCM stuff was out of stock in the UK with a lead time of two weeks. Also some reading up that the PLCM doesn't support threading, and all english pages disappearing from their website put me of using it.
Instead I've opted for a bit more involved retrofit, using the Dynomotion KFlop+Kanalog I had already bought for the mill, and fitting servos.

Here's the control cabinet prior to delivery -

Electrics as Delivered by mc_mtb, on Flickr
The original setup used an Optimised Controls rack fitted with a Eurostep controller, and rack mount Parker SD15 drives.
I spent some time today removing the old rack along with the wiring I know I won't need, and getting the Kanalog and servo drives mounted in place. I also managed to get an extra single phase contactor for the servo drives in place and connected into the E-Stop controlled supply.
As of this evening, this is how the control cabinet sits-

Out with the old, in with the new by mc_mtb, on Flickr

I'll hopefully start getting things wired up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:51:21 PM by mc »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Denford Cyclone retrofit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »
Look forward to see the progress on this, always good to see another lathe :)
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:46:20 PM »
I got as far as getting the 240V input/switch panel made today, and power from the main contactor to the drivers. I need to go shopping for some heavier wire to get the contactor connected to the inlet socket. I'm aiming to get started on swapping the stepper motors for the servos tomorrow, which will involve a bit bracket modification on the Z-axis to allow for the change in pulley size.

Hood, I'll probably be racking your brain at some point regarding the Toolchanger.
In fact, I'll do it just now!
I'm going for having it PLC controlled over Modbus, however I'm not sure on how best to handle interlocking it. I was thinking of having a ToolChanger OK signal from the PLC into the KFlop, which goes low if there is any fault (i.e. the toolchanger becomes unlocked for some reason), or if the current position doesn't match the commanded position. The only issue I can see with that, is I'd need to make Mach stop in case of a fault, yet ignore things during a toolchange.
So I'm thinking have two signals into the KFlop. One for faults, and one to signal a toolchange is complete.

I could check tool change is ok over modbus, however that would involve continual checking, and at somepoint I'll be looking to add some controls via modbus, and don't want to be using the modbus too much.

I know you use PLCs for toolchangers, but how are you making sure things stop if there's a fault?

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »
Just a quick update.
Things are progressing, but a real job and sideline jobs are keeping me away from getting this finished.

I've got all the new electical bits mounted and the power wiring almost complete. The new pulleys and mounting brackets are just about complete, with only a few holes left to be drilled and tapped.
I'm aiming to get the control wiring mostly done this week, so I can test the servos before I bolt them on, then that just leaves the tool changer and tooling up.

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »
I got started on the KFlop and servo wiring today, which is going reasonably well. Took a quick photo before I gave up for the night -

Progressing by mc_mtb, on Flickr

And here's the shiny 240V input panel-

Almost professional by mc_mtb, on Flickr
(don't look too closely, as I got carried away with the filing and filed a corner I shouldn't of!)

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »
Servos work!

Took a bit head scratching with the instructions to figure out all the required settings, but they're now working under KFlop control. Still got to add in the fault relays/wiring, and attach them to the lathe, but they spin.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
Looks like its coming along :)
Hood

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
Managed to get the Z-axis motor bolted on during the week, along with various bits of wiring. I ran the auto-tuning for it today which shaked things about a bit, but not anywhere near as much as hitting the step button in the KFlop step response screen. I had meant to hit the move button, but clicked the wrong button, which resulted in moving the servo motor a quarter turn and back again as quickly as possible.

I went to connect in the home sensors, but turns out they're NAMUR output which means there's no easy way to connect them into the KFlop, so I'll need to order some new ones.

I got the spindle wired up today, and tested it. Spins up nicely, however the encoder doesn't appear to output B signals, just A and Z despite the label and wiring having the full compliment. I'll need to get a scope on the extra wires and see what's happening. I'm not too bothered about the lack of B, it's just I'll need to figure out how to set-up the KFlop to handle it.

Also spent some time removing all the remaining extra bits and wiring, and the cabinet is looking neater already -

Looking Neater by mc_mtb, on Flickr

I started to finish of the X-axis motor mount, but can't find a suitable tap, so I can't get the X-axis bolted on until that turns up.
And I'm still waiting for the additional IO module for the PLC to turn up.

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »
I've managed to get the new home sensors wired in. I still need to test/adjust them, but they're both in ready to go.
The X-axis servo is now bolted up, and ready to go.

All wiring outwith the control cabinet is now in place. It's just a case of securing the servo wiring, bolting the Z+ limit switch (the home switch is mounted onto the switch block) back on, and putting the various covers back on.

I'm still waiting for the additional IO module for the PLC so I can get the tool changer wired in, but the majority of the wiring is in place already for that. It's just a case of connecting up the turret sensors/control cable and the contactors.
Other than that, I just need to finish wiring in the servo fault relays so the drives all stop on a fault, and connect the KFlop enable relay into the E-stop circuit so nothing powers up until the KFlop has booted.

Nothing much will happen this week though, as I'm away until friday on a training course.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »
What kind of PLC are you using?
Hood