Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:55:31 AM

Author Topic: Does Mach 3 need dedicated PC ?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline RoyT

•  14 14
    • View Profile
Does Mach 3 need dedicated PC ?
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:38:32 AM »
Hi

I have a pc in my workshop which is only used for Mach 3, I think it would be useful if I also had my cad/cam software on it to save having to go back into the house for small design edits on my main pc.

Someone told me that MACH 3 does not like having any other software installed on same pc ..is that correct ?

Cheers

Roy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Does Mach 3 need dedicated PC ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:56:19 AM »
It is not so much that it doesnt like other software and more that you are always best just using the computer for controlling the machine only, especially if using the parallel port rather than an external controller.
What I mean by that is, if you are not actually controlling a machine at the time, then there is no problems using CAD/CAM but if the computer is currently controlling the machine then best not to use anything else whilst doing so.
Hood

Offline RoyT

•  14 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:04:11 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply.

No I would not be running mach 3 and cad/cam at the same time so I will install the software .....that will save my little legs running from the house to the workshop :-)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:05:47 AM »
I agree 100% with Hood.

My view is one PC for the CAD/CAM work, internet connection etc. and another PC just for the machine.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 07:32:12 AM »
I have a dedicated pc for my machines but all of my CAD and Cam programs are loaded on it.
Like Hood said, should be no problem, if you don't run other software when using it for the machine.
RICH
Does Mach 3 need dedicated PC ?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
The only issue I have had is with AV software running at the same time as Mach. Had a lot of strange mach issues and missed steps with AV running. Now I just make sure I shut it down before I fire up Mach and everything seems to work well.  Hope that helps