Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:32:21 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 digitizing probe not saving file  (Read 12619 times)

Mach3 digitizing probe not saving file
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »
 I sure this is a common problem to new users of the digitizing wizard in Mach3.

I have just bought a probe for my cnc machine. All working as it should, but the txt file is always empty and shows 0 bytes when the wizard is finished. What am I doing wrong please ?

???

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Mach3 digitizing probe not saving file
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:48:05 AM »
Please post the digitize.tap that the wizard created and the xml file for the profile you're using. Also what OS and where did you specify for the path of the triplet file?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »
At teh beginning of the Gcode file you should see a M40 line. Is it there. When you start the Gcode does it ASK for a file name ? Does a freshly created Points file have the correct date / time assigned to it?

The process works here I just tested it.

(;-)TP
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
At teh beginning of the Gcode file you should see a M40 line. Is it there. When you start the Gcode does it ASK for a file name ? Does a freshly created Points file have the correct date / time assigned to it?

The process works here I just tested it.

(;-)TP

Yes it has an M40 line. yes it asks for a file name. Havnt looked at the date. First I named the file test.txt, and after I named the next one test.tap  . neither worked. Running Windows pro XP.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
OK when the M40 save as window pops up there are 2 things you need to do.

1. Look at thetop of the window to SEE WHERE it is being saved.
2 JUST type in the file name NOT the extension (.txt).

I have never seen the M40 NOT create a file . NOW I have saved it to somewhere other than where i THOUGHT I had saved it to.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
OK when the M40 save as window pops up there are 2 things you need to do.

1. Look at thetop of the window to SEE WHERE it is being saved.
2 JUST type in the file name NOT the extension (.txt).

I have never seen the M40 NOT create a file . NOW I have saved it to somewhere other than where i THOUGHT I had saved it to.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Thanks
 I done exactly that the first few times. They were saved on the desktop. When I looked at the file properties, it stated "FILE" and 0 Bytes.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
OK Just tested it , You DO need to add the ext, something changed there from the past as the window SHOWS you that "it "should ADD the ext ".TXT " automatically.

Now as to the empty file mach3 will only save the data IF YOU CLOSE the file with M41.

The M40 creates the file BUT It only writes to the file when M41 is used to close the file.

Hope that helps, (;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:36:32 PM »
OK Just tested it , You DO need to add the ext, something changed there from the past as the window SHOWS you that "it "should ADD the ext ".TXT " automatically.

Now as to the empty file mach3 will only save the data IF YOU CLOSE the file with M41.

The M40 creates the file BUT It only writes to the file when M41 is used to close the file.

Hope that helps, (;-) TP

Ok... I am trying that now. Mach3 always ends in M30. So I am editing the g code and changing it to M41
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »

Hope that helps, (;-) TP

Ok... I am trying that now. Mach3 always ends in M30. So I am editing the g code and changing it to M41

Oh dear.... File still empty !

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »
DId you run a g31 and do a trip or let it run to the end point

M40 (fill in the blanks)
G31 X10  F30  (trip it or let it run until the end)
G31 X10  F30
M41
M30

(;-) TP