Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:17:02 PM

Author Topic: To XP or not to XP  (Read 3612 times)

To XP or not to XP
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »
Hi there, I just had a break down with my computer, it was an old PC with a printer port, when I asked about up- dating my computer to a new one I was told that to buy a new PC with a printer port was nearly impossible because the new PC have USB ports instead, and  XP may not be compatible with the faster machines, my question is will Mach3 run on windows7 no Vista without any problems? or do I look for another second hand PC which will use XP if a copy is still available?

Regards
Nick ??? ???

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: To XP or not to XP
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
Hi Nick,

If it was me and this is just my preference, then I would purchase an older (cheap) 32 bit PC (which has a spare PCI slot) and fit a PCI parallel port card then install WinXP Sp2 as the OS. The onboard Ethernet and USB as well as the PP then cater for just about every occasion.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »
Thanks Tweakie, That is my intention, but good second hand PC are getting very scarce, I may have to purchase a few of them and save them for a later date, unless we hear about Mach4 and what format it will run under and what cost it will be to up-date, until then I will be hunting down older Pc's.

Regards
Nick

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
Lots of PC on Ebay with WinXP - with and without recovery disk.
Just purchased one for $91.00. Just saw you are in AU. Not
sure of availability.
olf20 / Bob
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:29:03 AM by olf20 »
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
You could simply replace the Motherboard on the one you already have ???

I would also update the Hard drive while you are there.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
I was told that to buy a new PC with a printer port was nearly impossible because the new PC have USB ports instead
Sad, but true. Try an Ethernet Smooth Stepper instead (NOT the USB version). More power, much more.

XP may not be compatible with the faster machines
Chuckle. Total crap too. (I am running WXPSP3 on very new machines.)

Place your wallet on the table and tell the vendor that you will buy IF the machine is shipped with WinXPSP3 installed and running. If he can't, go elsewhere.

Theory: MS will have everyone move to Win8 on tablets, and this will revive the PC industry (and help the MS share price too). Some MS execs may even believe this.

Reality: Commercial users (in their millions) are quite happy with WXPSP3 on their existing machines and see no reason to change just to help the MS share price. Why should they - their current HW/SW does what the company needs just fine. The cost in $$ and hours of retraining staff from XP to Win8 would nearly kill many businesses.

Result: even the biggest companies (like Dell) will sell you a new machine with the Win8 disk *attached* (to keep MS happy), but with WXPSP3 installed and running. They will tell you that it is a 'special order', but YOU are the customer.

Cheers
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:58:16 AM »
Thanks rcaffin, I agree with you,I have solved the problem and still running windows xp, must update the service pack one day,