Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:18:02 AM

Author Topic: Newbie Needs Help With Laser Firing!  (Read 2340 times)

Newbie Needs Help With Laser Firing!
« on: August 11, 2013, 02:02:02 AM »
Just Got The TB6600 4 Axis Driver From Ebay. Working Great On My Sherline, x, y, z all Moving Well.

I Also Bought A Small 1W Laser Diode and driver board For Cutting thin Stuff, mostly black Paper. I Just Stick It In The Z Axis From Time To Time.

The Laser Driver Board Has 3 Pins, ground, power and TTL Which I Understand Turrns The Laser On And Off. Have Read A Number Of Posts But Have Yet To Get A Detailed Answer on How To Wire Up To The TB6560 To Only Turn On Power At Z Axis Moves. ( or a Better Alternative?)

The Board Does Have Spindle Relay But Im Reading Thats Not The Way To Go, that i Should Turn It On When Z Moves Down And Turn Off When Z Moves Up.

Obviously i dont Need Z Movement When Laser Cutting, just want To Use The Z Move Code To Turn On And Off.

So How Do I Wire This Up? Where Does Positive And Ground Leads Connect To, the main Power Supply Coming Into The Board? Or Do They Wire Up To The Z+\Z- some how? Then Where Does The TTL lead Go To?

Do I Need To Change Any Of The Currently Working Ports And Or Pins?

If You Can Help Please Keep This Stupid Simple. A Simple Diagram Would Be great.

Thank You In Advance!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Needs Help With Laser Firing!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 06:21:52 AM »
Obviously it depends on your particular laser driver board but usually…

After applying power there is a short delay then the diode laser comes ON.
Connecting the TTL pin to GND turns the laser OFF – removing this connection turns the laser ON (basically an Active High configuration as far as Mach3 is concerned).

You could either use an unused axis Direction pin connected to the TTL input or you could use the GCode M11P1 / M10P1 command set to switch Output #1 (which is in turn mapped to an output pin that is connected to the TTL input). Each method has it’s own advantages and disadvantages but my preference is for using the M11P1 / M10P1 command set.

Tweakie.
PEACE