Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:50:40 AM

Author Topic: "Another" Soft Limits issue/problem  (Read 8638 times)

"Another" Soft Limits issue/problem
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »
Hi Folks

I am having an odd soft limits issue. I can not turn soft limits on without getting the "Machine out of limits for soft limit activation" Error
It used to work fine then one day I turned it off for some reason and now I can't turn it back on.
Basics
Machine is referenced
all limit switches are working properly
I home to the upper right hand corner of my envelope so all moves away from home are negative.
The machine coordinates zero when homed.
In the attached screenshot the dro's are showing that it is indeed away from the limits ( in machine coordinates )
Machine setup units are inches

It has worked this way for years and then it won't turn back on.
I have tried changing the button function from having the radio button "SoftLimits Toggle" to OEMCode 119 to Execute VBScript DoOembutton119 all with the same result. I can't turn it back on.

I am really hoping I just missed something obvious

Thanks for any assistance

Regards

Scott

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: "Another" Soft Limits issue/problem
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »
Well first thing to do is home then switch to machine coords and see what they say, if they are within your soft limits there should not be a problem.
One thing however the Home Off box is meant for setting a Home Offset up. What that means is if your home switches are at the positive end of the travel you enter a value in the Home Off box equal to the distance the switches are away from fully negative.
That would mean when you home the machine coords get set to that value rather than zero and that in turn means your machine coords conform to convention, ie X Y zero machine coords are all axis fully negative.
Hood
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:18:06 PM by Hood »
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
Hood
Thank you for your reply.
In the attached screenshot, the machine was homed, I switched to machine coordinates it read 0,0,0. ( which is technically outside of the soft limits but they are not on yet. )
I then jogged each axis away from the limits about an inch and a half and tried to turn on soft limits. ( now I am within the soft limits )
It has worked with these settings for the last several years, I can't figure out what happened or what has changed.

I will try the "Home Offsets" But am unclear on why I would have too. Should I uncheck auto zero ?

Thanks again

Scott
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:04:18 PM by Scott_M »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »
What are the actual machine coordinates when you see the error?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:34:26 PM »
Hi Gerry

It will error anywhere at any position. I have jogged to numerous positions and tried to turn it on and it errors even the exact middle of all 3 axis.

Scott

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 02:57:10 AM »
Can you attach your xml and I will see if I can find a problem.

Regarding what I mentioned about Home Off. Its not necessary to do that but it is a good idea as it will set your machine coords with convention.
It is not your problem however and it was just information about how it can be done to save you having to have minus machine coord setup.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:17:37 AM »
Thanks Hood
I really appreciate it !

Scott

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:10:42 AM »
Ok try this, go to ports and pins and disable the three home switch inputs, go back to main screen and press RefAll. Mach will home where it is and LEDs go green. Press Soft Limits and see if they will switch on. If they do then go back into ports and pins and enable the Home switch inputs. You should then be able to home properly now.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 09:39:09 AM »
Bummer

I disabled homing inputs on all 3 axis , Hit ref all, it zeroed where it was, all lights went green.
Tried turning on soft limits........same error " Machine out of limits for soft limit activation "

Scott

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
What version of Mach are you using?

Hood