Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:18:54 AM

Author Topic: Tooling  (Read 3416 times)

Tooling
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:23:13 PM »
Is there going to be a video for tool offsets and the offsets screen as i am having problems with getting this to work

Offline PaulWC

•  125 125
    • View Profile
Re: Tooling
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 05:19:14 AM »
I figured this one out...

The main issue is to enter the dimension of the setup aid you're using. I use an Edge Finder with a 0.200" tip for X and Y, And a 1.000" high Tool Setter for Z. After entering those values in the boxes, just jog to indicated zero on the aid and click the appropriate icon. Mach3 will calculate the true zero and set the DRO. The DRO should show 1/2 diameter value for X and Y, and the + or - value depending on which icon you clicked. The Z DRO should show Z+ equal to your Gage Block entry.

If you use the tool and cigarette paper trick, then enter the tool diameter + 0.003" (2*Top Brand paper thickness) for X and Y. Enter 0.0015" as Gage Block for setting Z.

Not on the page, but setting zero for a rotary axis requires a flat reference surface. If not on a fixture, then a parallel or similar clamped to the part. I use a pocket level (A axis) to get close. Then jog sweep a DTI along the reference surface, and jog step the axis until there is no deflection on the DTI... set zero.

Paul, Central OR
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:56:28 AM »
Thank you for the info but i'm not having a problem with the fixture offsets i'm having a problem with the tool length offsets when i set my machine up for for the fixture i then set my tools in the tool table but i'm not really sure what value to put in the tool table for length should i put the actual size of the tool or should i put the difference of the "tool - the tool i used to reference" zero for the Z axis in the fixture

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:11:23 AM »
If you have set your Z datum at zero with the first tool then the offset values for tools 2,3,4,etc is the difference in length of that tool to the first tool.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline PaulWC

•  125 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 04:46:06 AM »
Presettable tools is covered in the manual, Topic 7.3.1.

The +/- length difference from the reference tool (you originally set Z0 to) is stored in the tool table with each additional tool number.

G43 is used for calling the offsets, and G49 turns it off. M6, Tnnn, Snnnn would be additive to the code line.

Paul, Central OR