Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:06:07 AM

Author Topic: Bridge Port Series II, retrofit project  (Read 16159 times)

Re: Bridge Port Series II, retrofit project
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
Looking good.  Cant wait to see the final assembly.

JH

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
Thanks JH,

But, on the video of it moving around, that is it's final build at least here, it is shipping out on those two pallets to a customer who will put the two halves together at his shop....... I wish, I could keep it, but need the money more........

Scott
fun times

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »
OH SHoot I though tyou were going to whip an ATC on that puppy and make some mega bucks.

Just a thought but a tool changer to run on a BP/clone would be a money maker. That is IF you can perfect a PDB for the BP.

(;-) TP

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
Yea, it is just to cheap and easy to stick an PLC on the machine for the ATC, vs. trying to make a custom/proprietary board.
On this machine it is a Ericson quick change chuck so, not really adaptable to an ATC without MAJOR spindle type mods.......

Scott
fun times

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »
Does your spindle have the drawbar hole down the center ??

The QC30 has the same taper and lug spacing as a BT or Cat30 (;-)  

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »
No, unfortunately, there is no hole down the center..........  thus my statement about major mods to the spindle.......
It uses a QC200 tool holder, so I would have to also remove the Ericson quick change chuck, and then re-bore the tool holder socket to
some standard like ISO 30, professional grind/hardened, and bore the entire spindle quill..........  Just FAR, FAR to many expensive mods
mechanically, that would cost FAR more than the machine is worth (to me at least).

PLCs/ATCs are a NON-ISSUE for me, but I have NO desire to try and make bricks without straw.
The amount of Labor, cost and down time for it would be prohibitive. It would be cheaper to buy a used BP that had an ATC in place and retro it than to redo this one....  again, that is in my opinion.........

I would like to find an Old Interact with ATC, or Mazak, or Haas VF4 or VF6 to retro, or especially an old Okuma Lathe with the five rail slides!

scott
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:09:26 PM by poppabear »
fun times

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 10:56:13 PM »
I thought you were lucky enough to have a QC30. I have one here in the shop WITH the center hole.

(;-)TP