Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:34:17 PM

Author Topic: Pyrography.  (Read 44413 times)

Re: Pyrography.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »
Now Tweakie, the Hybrid is just way too slick. You guys are gonna keep messing around a rip a hole in space or something. I'm pretty sure of that.  ;D

Although the depth is obvious in the picture I bet it doesn't do it justice does it?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 10:50:36 AM »
Hi Zsolt,

The temperature is set by 'trial and error', depending on the wood stock, and this in turn is then balanced out with the average feed-rate. It's all very experimental but those that have persevered seem to be finding the right combinations. There are more details of the 'home constructed' current regulator etc. here http://hobbycncart.com/forum/46-234-1 (you may need to use Google Translate).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »
Hi Brett,

The idea of routing a 3D relief then lasering the detail and shading over the top was suggested over 12 months ago but, so far, I have not been able to get it just right.
John’s (PicEngraver) excellent software http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,26003.0.html is well capable of doing the job if only I was more capable at using it.  :D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 05:14:16 AM »
Just my little variation on the theme.  :D
Low voltage, high current and stainless steel.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 06:37:38 AM »
Tweakie, you sure do keep things interesting. Way to go Tweakie. Brilliant!

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 08:34:36 AM »
Very neat, Tweakie.  How about a little more info?  Voltage, current, tool setup, etc.? 

Thanks,
John Champlain

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
Thanks guys. At the moment the resultant work is a bit scruffy looking but it can only get better.  :)

John, I am still experimenting with this and will provide more detailed info once I get a little further down the road.
The voltage I am using is adjustable between 1.5 and 2.5 volts and as we all know, at low voltage and high current the enemy is electrical resistance – even a fraction of 1 ohm can create substantial heating as well a voltage drop at the work surface – once I have this sorted I expect / hope to get some improved results. I am showing a reasonably steady 0.2 Amps current draw on the 240 Volt input to the transformer but output current has not been measured. Still not sure about electrodes, I am using copper at the moment but plan to try tungsten as well.

Tweakie.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:45:16 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »
Thanks Tweakie.
Waiting to see photos done with your process.  And in stainless - how unique is that?
John
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »
Hi Brett,

The idea of routing a 3D relief then lasering the detail and shading over the top was suggested over 12 months ago but, so far, I have not been able to get it just right.
John’s (PicEngraver) excellent software http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,26003.0.html is well capable of doing the job if only I was more capable at using it.  :D

Tweakie.

Brett,

not only was it suggested, but done by me 12 months ago using Picengrave Pro 4, but the depth of the relief was limited by my LD's focal point.

http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-15

My limitations on the routing depth of the relief engraving have always been the image to g-code program I use by it not being able to generate a Z axis movement within the same g-code file as the analog modulated laser's power (A axis). If it could, the laser diodes focal point would follow the spindle engravings contours up and down throughout a deeper depth of cut to be able to shade the relief properly.

Jeff
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver