Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:55:24 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Delay?  (Read 13628 times)

Spindle Delay?
« on: May 28, 2013, 02:25:32 PM »
Hello all, I just got my registered version of Mach3 and I finally cut something on my CNC which was a big moment and a huge relief :)  I have a question related to my spindle though (1.5kW Air-Cooled Chinese) and the time it takes to spin up.  I think this problem is pretty obvious and I think I see where it needs to be adjusted but I was hoping to get some quick confirmation and maybe a little bit more verbosity on the options (or, of course, if I'm in the wrong area altogether!).

I am using the PMDX-107 to control the spindle, it works great and takes commands from the MDI interface.  The problem is that when I load a program and start it, the program begins cutting before the spindle is fully up to speed.  Right now I am manually setting the spindle and turning it on via the MDI panel (using s20000 & M3 for example) and then cycle starting the program.  This works but is a pain in the butt (and sort of defeats the purpose of the 107 since I have to mess with stuff instead of it all being run from the gcode)

I noticed that in Ports & Pins, the Spindle tab, there is a section for "general parameters" which lists "CW Delay Spin UP" which defaults to "1 second".  Is this where I would put in something like "10" seconds to make the CNC wait for 10 seconds after the s20000 and M3 commands are issued at the top of the gcode file before it starts moving into the piece?

If so that's great and I'll change it to an appropriate number higher than "1".  2 follow ups would be: 1). why would you need a longer spin DOWN delay? and 2). What does the "Immediate Relay off before delay" checkbox do?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle Delay?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »
Yes that is correct, you can enter your values there and Mach will pause until that time has passed before it will continue with code.
You may need a longer or shorter spin down, all depends on your machine. You also have to bear in mind that Mach is used for many different types of machines and often it is not just spindles that the spindle outputs get used for, machines  like glue dispensing machines etc
The relay option is to switch off the relays immediately or wait until the delayed time before it switches the relay off. All depends how your spindle is set up, if in fact it is even a spindle, as to what you would do there. If its a VFD then likely you want it to switch off immediately.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
Ah, thanks Hood.  Yes, I'm using a VFD.

Okay well I'll bump that spindle delay up and check that checkbox!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 05:49:57 PM »
Just to add a little here.  Spin up, down time is often affected by tool weight as well.  For instance a 3 inch face mill weighs a lot more than a 1/8 ball nose and could easily affect things.   I would set the delays keeping this in mind. Hoods machines are just so amazing he never notices that any more.  :)

Welcome to the forum BTW!

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
Ah, good to know. Thanks Brett!

Offline sebba

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:20:29 AM »
In the past I tried to solve this issue editing the PP of the CAM software
Few years ago I had a modified PP for FeatureCam. A "G4 Paaaa" was automatically added after any tool change and M3/M4 routine.
The "aaaa" value was also automatically calculated by the PP regarding the S value (and of course, regarding the spindle's acceleration)
The Mach's delay values was ignored (set to zero)

I don't know if this method is "officially" accepted but it worked nice for me. The spindle was also an 1.5kw spindle driven by a VFD, modbus/brains controlled
I'm not using Featurecam anymore but I think I still have this modified PP somewhere in my (huge) backups so if somebody need it, please ask, I'll try to find it

regards,
Seb
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 08:42:30 AM »
I just set the spin up delay to 10 seconds (I'm still so new to machining that extra time isn't a huge concern to me) and now everything working great!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:41:23 AM »
Seb, that is a great way to set the delay.  That should work well.  I think the ideal way to handle it is to monitor spindle rotation if you can and continue once at zero speed or desired speed.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline sebba

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:55:08 AM »
^^ yeah, I agree, but I have to do more research for that :)
thanks

Offline sebba

•  42 42
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Spindle Delay?
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 02:47:56 AM »
I think the ideal way to handle it is to monitor spindle rotation if you can and continue once at zero speed or desired speed.

Brett

Hello
So, is possible to do this with an index pulse encoder for reading spindle's and a properly config of Mach3?
And no customisation of PP?

I mean, if Mach3 will be able to read the real spindle's RPM, it will can handle these delays automatically?
Where these settings should be applyed? In spindle calibration?
Or some brains should be developed?

Thanks.
Seb

Sent from my Desire Z using Tapatalk 2