Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:57:47 PM

Author Topic: Wabeco comversions to Mach 3  (Read 4048 times)

Wabeco comversions to Mach 3
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »
I have two wabeco machines :

6000 series lathe with 8 position toolchanger.
Mill with rotary table.

Both spec with ball screws, and the mill with linear guides etc.

They both currently use the Kosy NCCAD 7 system which leaves a lot to be desired, although I have made good progress thus far. However today I had a task that required :

34mm dia, Left hand internal thread. 4.75mm pitch. Wabeco have advised that the controller cannot do that ! So I have a couple of queries,

1 - Is the mach 3 system capable to cutting such a thread ?

2 - I currently do the design and technology in the CAD stage of NCCAD, how does that process equate to Mach 3 ?

I have a vendor that can supply new controllers, I just wish to clarify the processes of using the system and what it is capable of.

TIA for any feedback.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Wabeco comversions to Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:39:04 AM »
Mach can certainly cut the thread, that is not an issue.
Mach Turn however is really just G Code based rather than conversational, there are wizards that allow you to plug in dimensions for simple operations such as straight turning, taper turning, threading  etc. If however the parts are a bit more complex then CAM would really be advised, I use Dolphin and it works well for me.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »
Thanks, crazy thing is that the CAD stage of the NCCAD did not protest at the design of the thread, it was when I went to make it that the **** hit the fan ..

So tomorrow I have to cut that thread manually on another machine which is a hassle I did'nt need !

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
I do a fair amount of threading and CNC really shines for that. I have manual lathes and CNC and I use the manual  more than the CNC just because of the type of work I do, one off repairs mainly. If however anything needs threading it definitely does not get done on the manual machine nowadays :)
Hood