Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:54:05 PM

Author Topic: ABC's of YOOCNC 6040Z Setup  (Read 41939 times)

ABC's of YOOCNC 6040Z Setup
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »
I've read many posts here on these forums and it's been quite helpful.  I'm making this post to list out my ABC's for getting things up and working with Mach3, hopefully this helps anyone else out there having challenges with their new YOOCNC machine setup.

A
First and formost, ensure you have your LPT port setup correctly.
After opening Mach3, under the menu item Config/Ports and Pins ensure the checkbox "Port Enabled" under Port #1 is checked
And ensure it is set to a default port address 0x378 (If address is different, ensure that address is entered here)

B
Ensure your Kernel Speed is set correctly
Before this step, it is best to perform step C first, then a reboot of your machine so your environment can report accurate results to Mach3.
In the C:\Mach3 directory, run DriverTest.exe
Watch the display here, it will display a number that you will want to use.
Under the menu item Config/Ports Kernel Speed, ensure you select a Kernel Speed that is less than or equal to what DriverTest reported.

C
Disable all startup programs and services you do not need to run, this is very important because this can have negative effects on Mach3.
Click on Start/Run then type in msconfig hit enter.
This Microsoft utility will allow you to configure what starts when you boot your machine.
The Startup tab lists all processes that will be started when your machine starts, disable the ones you do not need.  I disabled most of mine, but be cautious here, your computer or hardware may need something here in order to run.  So go through your documentation and ensure you do not need a specific process before disabling anything here.  Unchecking an item here will prevent it from starting up.
The services tab is also an area where you must be sure you do not need if you uncheck it, look at documentation or google your machine model and make sure you do not need anything you are disabling, I disabled most all my services and most all of my Startup processes.
After you make a change, do a re-boot.

D
Now your machine should be clean
You must ensure your port and pin assignments are correct
Menu Item Config/Ports and Pins under the Motor Outputs Tab ensure your pin settings are as follows:

SignalEnabledStep PinDir PinDir LowActiveStep Low ActiveStep PortDir Port
X Axis
Checked
UnChecked
Checked
Y Axis
Checked
UnChecked
Checked
Z Axis
Checked
UnChecked
Checked

After making any changes here, it is best to close Mach3 and re-open it.

E
At this point, you should be able to manually navigate your machine when Mach3 is running, try to hit the left/right arrow keys on your keyboard.
If it doesn't move as expected, but you hear a noise, that means Mach3 Jog mode is currently set to Step
Hit the TAB key on your keyboard, and click the Jog Mode button and make sure the yellow light under Cont (Continuous), then click TAB again
Now hit your arrow keys on your keyboard, Left arrow key should move your gantry to the left on your machine (X Axis),
Right should move right (X Axis)
The Up/Down arrow keys will move along the (Y Axis)
The Page-Up/Page-Down keys will move the Spindle up and down
Note, pay close attention to the direction of movement, if you notice Z Axis is moving down when hitting page up, you must reverse this.

F
Now, lets tune up the motors and timing of your system.
Menu item Config/Motor Tuning
Here you will see a graph showing the Acceleration and Velocity of your motors and Steps, this is important because the screws on your machine are of a specific measurement and if these settings are not correct, you could find your machine locking up or "walking" out of your milling jobs.
For the YOOCNC 6040Z here are my settings:
X Axis
Steps Per: 320
Velocity: 2499.8
Acceleration: 300
Step Pulse: 3
Dir Pulse: 2
Y Axis
Velocity: 2499.8
Acceleration: 300
Dir Pulse: 2
Z Axis
Velocity: 799.8
Acceleration: 200
Dir Pulse:2

G
Time to Roll - Prepare the table
Now you are ulmost ready to use your machine for your first job.  You should make a backing board for your machine.  My first time, I just used a
3/4 inch MDF scrap that I cut out to fit the cutting area of my table.  Use a backing board so you do not cut all the way through into the table.
Once you have your board attached, it would be good to make a pocket job about 1/8 inch deep.  Once you've done this, the board is now true to the Z Axis.

I hope all of this helps, because my trial and error has taken over three weeks before I finally got every working perfectly.  
If anyone needs any insights, ideas or simply want to follow what I'm up to, I have a youtube page that I will use to share my CNC Journey.

Join here: http://www.youtube.com/user/INetCoder
Re: ABC's of YOOCNC 6040Z Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:41:44 PM »
Hi,

I have a question for you and I wonder if you can help me?

I have a 6040 CNC machine I have loaded Mach3 onto my computer and I have used these settings above. The issue in having is the stepper moater keys used on the program work on the computer but not on the table.

Could you please if possible send me screenshots of all the settings that you are using??

Thank you! =]

Offline beefy

•  138 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
B
Ensure your Kernel Speed is set correctly
Before this step, it is best to perform step C first, then a reboot of your machine so your environment can report accurate results to Mach3.
In the C:\Mach3 directory, run DriverTest.exe
Watch the display here, it will display a number that you will want to use.
Under the menu item Config/Ports Kernel Speed, ensure you select a Kernel Speed that is less than or equal to what DriverTest reported.

It's not necessary to set your kernel speed any higher than what you need. If you do you are just putting the PC under more "pressure" than is necessary. Up until recently I made this mistake myself, thinking faster is better. After finding out that I should set my kernel speed for the minimum that will be necessary I calculated my maximum steps per second at my table rapid speed and found it to be well below the slowest kernel speed of 25 Khz.

So now even if my driver test is perfect up to 100 Khz, I only set the kernel speed to 25 Khz, and hopefully have a more stable / reliable Mach3 in the process.

Keith.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 10:55:51 AM »
Hi,

I have a question for you and I wonder if you can help me?

I have a 6040 CNC machine I have loaded Mach3 onto my computer and I have used these settings above. The issue in having is the stepper moater keys used on the program work on the computer but not on the table.

Could you please if possible send me screenshots of all the settings that you are using??

Thank you! =]

G'day,

I have also a 6040Z USB 1,500W spindle and only today I manage to get my first job done successfully, after 2 weeks of hell, all due to the CD with al programs and instructions wasn't in the box and everytime I was sent the files by email, they would get corrupted.

While I struggle still with so many issues related to understanding and operation the CNC correctly, I do recall to have seen a Youtube video made by the Mach3 people where, he talks about that very issue and how to resolve it, the answer is in the beginning of this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5bWH_ET3E4
Good luck

Offline Sabre

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 05:53:17 PM »
I am setting up my new 6040z Christmas gift today and following the above document. Thank you very much BTW.
I can get the motor to spin, (found out by trial and error) but can not get any of the X,Y or Z to move. I have everything plugged in per the labels on the cables and figure if something was plugged in wrong, I would at least get some movement. I can get everything to move easily using the stepper knobs, so I doubt they are bound up. I have checked the connections and all seem snug.  Missing something simple I am sure, but this is my first time setting one of these up and figured I would ask before charging forward.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
Hi Sabre,

I recall to have had exactly the same experience and, I'm trying to remember what I did to make all axis move using the keyboard keys so, I may start but asking you, from whom did you get the machine from and what documents/files did they gave you to set the machine up...?

I do recall that, I did miss more than once to follow the correct instructions on how to download and install the software, the seller should have sent you a set of instructions on how to make the Match3 software under the manufacturer's licence, allowing you also to get all the settings on Match3 to be done automatically when the software is installed correctly.

Knowing the exact model and seller of your machine, the instruction manuals are slightly different but, in my search to learn what I had, I got all the various manuals printed so that I could see the differences, and I can tell you, there are a few.

Don't stress though, you will get it sorted, sooner or later...!
Cheers
George

Offline Sabre

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »
CNCShop on Amazon was the seller.
6040z-S65J
No manual provided. Just one folded page with some info and photos. see below
Software disk appears to be a copy, not original. No instructions, just hit the exe and let her load up
I found the original post here and began following it to set up. then read the part about, "you should be able to move it now with keyboard", but I couldn't   lol

Any help or memory of how to fix would be greatly  appreciated.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 10:19:32 PM »
G'day,

I can't see what is in the images, they show far too small so, and because I may need to send you some PDF files, I would suggest that, you send me an email to, nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Cheers
George

Offline Sabre

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 10:22:12 PM »
Will do. Thanks

Offline Sabre

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »

Hello Everyone,

Not a good morning so far here in Texas. I removed the mach 3 software that came with the unit and downloaded and reinstalled the newest version of Mach 3 from the website. Followed the information on this page as well as trying different information a member provided to me, but am still not getting the unit to work from keyboard.

I proved that while the controller is powered OFF I can move the motors easily by hand. When I turn the controller on, it becomes difficult. That being said, I think the power to the motors is working. I can test, ramp up and slow down the spindle from the control box. but not the keyboard.

Have tried the settings that came with the unit. The settings that a member  provided in the 6040z doc and another set that I downloaded via the internet. we have replaced the keyboard to rule that out, verified the manual e-stop is disengaging and that the software e-stop is turned off, not blinking. Have checked and rechecked all of the connections.

When using the keyboard, the numbers on the screen do not move, though I think that they did using the software that came with the unit, before I deleted and downloaded the latest.

Not sure what i am missing here, but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance