Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:51:46 PM

Author Topic: mach 3 bug when reading dnc files  (Read 9045 times)

mach 3 bug when reading dnc files
« on: May 02, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »
If the last line does not end in a newline character, then the last line is not executed. My last line is always G00 X0.0 Y0.0, but the machine only homes if there's a newline after that.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: mach 3 bug when reading dnc files
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »
Standard practice is to have a new line character. Typically a percentage sign for visual reference.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
Yes, well, this is a very standard discussion in language design, is ";" a statement separator or a statement terminator. All I know is when I ported to your software, I had to figure out this issue and hand modify about 240 dnc files. Which moves this topic out of the realm of philosophy and into the realm of mindless work for me.

btw, by "newline" I mean <lf>, as I recall that's ASCII 13.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »
Bummer. Gotta do what ya gotta do I suppose.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
Seriously? That's your version of support? Sarcasm? In this internet world, you think treating paying customers like this will keep you in business? Good luck with that business model.

Jerk.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »
First off Sam is a moderator here and as far as I know is not employed by Artsoft so its not his software and thus nothing to do with Artsofts business model.
In fact the vast majority of people who provide help and support here have nothing to do with Artsoft other than being satisfied customers who like to help out
Second I dont think Sam was being sarcastic, possibly was, but I read it as being sympathetic but saying that its what you need to do.
Third, it is standard practice in G Code to end your last line of code by moving onto the next. The normal practice, as Sam said, is to have a % on that final line, you do not actually have to have anything on that final line, all you need to do is have ended the line by hitting the return key on your keyboard. That % however allows you to visually know you have ended the last line of code if you are looking at your G Code file.

If your code does not have that then afraid it is up to you to do that.

Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »
Wow. Kinda harsh. Editing about 240 files can do that, I suppose. That's O.K. though, I've been called worse. If you took my answer to your problem as rude, then I do apologize. I did indeed answer your simple problem, with a simple answer. I didn't really know what else to say. As said before, the standard is to have an extra line at the end of the file. That's industry standard, not just something Mach requires. There might indeed be controls that do not require it, but none that I personally know of. Thank you, have a very wonderful day.

I am not employed by Artsoft in any form or fashion. As another massively contributing member to the machinist community states in all his post, "(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone Artsoft and its management)"

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:29:38 AM »
Seriously? That's your version of support? Sarcasm? In this internet world, you think treating paying customers like this will keep you in business? Good luck with that business model.

Jerk.
So marklawrence - you now know you've made the same mistake as many a newcomer to the forum. We are NOT Artsoft employees - we are Mach users (customers) who find some sort of perverse pleasure in trying to help others for no reward whatsoever. Sam has made his apology - I wonder if you have the balls to come back and do the same - AND retract the "Jerk" comment?

btw, by "newline" I mean <lf>, as I recall that's ASCII 13.

BTW, as I recall, a LF (line feed) is ASCII 10, a CR (carriage return) is ASCII 13 - NEWLINE on windoze based systems is CRLF (That would be ASCII 13 followed by ASCII 10)