Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:45:49 AM

Author Topic: Limit Switch Problems - BAFFLING!  (Read 13209 times)

Hood

Re: Limit Switch Problems - BAFFLING!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 04:30:02 PM »
Did you try increasing the debounce? Maybe the contacts are fluttering slightly.
Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »
Hi, moonlightmedia

Change the state of "Active Low" in Config, Ports and Pins, Inputs, for your switch inputs, turn off "Active Low" "X", " Emulated" "X" .

This will change the way Mach looks at the switch "NO" "NC",  click on the X or Check mark it will change state, then Apply.

See Att. Set them this way.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 08:49:51 AM »
Reply to afn09556

Chip,

I clearly see the settings you are showing and understand why they are like that. Just for reference, I have
been a Digital/Analog Engineer for thirty years and I do understand the signaling process that is being done here.
If you re-read my previous post, you will see that I set the controls for "Active High". This is exactly what you
have shown. Active High is the same as placing an "X" in the active low field. In essence it says NOT active low.

The problem that no one seems perplexed by is that Mach 3 Sees the signal correctly and then responds by telling
me the signal is wrong !
. If the diagnostic panel says "There is no limit switch active", why does the main page insist
that there is ?

I can make this all go away by setting the switches for active low and making the switches normally open but I would
really rather have an answer to the problem. I sent along an Email directly to the people who make Mach 3 but so
far I don't have a response.

Thanks for your response and patience

Hood

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 01:12:52 PM »
The problem that no one seems perplexed by is that Mach 3 Sees the signal correctly and then responds by telling
me the signal is wrong !
. If the diagnostic panel says "There is no limit switch active", why does the main page insist
that there is ?
I am not perplexed because mach will pick up the slightest state change and I would think that the graphics wont be as responsive to such a short change in this state. I know this to be the case from personal experience, when I was fitting limits to my first conversion, the LEDs would not show the state change as it was too fast, but that Mach itself saw the momentary change and gave a tripped limit warning. My problem was that I had forgotten to connect some of the pins to ground on the OR gate that I was using, so I was getting noise.
 Anyway  I will ask again just in case you missed it before ;) Have you tried increasing the debounce?
 Also are your limits wires shielded and only grounded at the one end?

Hood
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 01:21:53 PM by Hood »

Hood

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
Another thought, I am  not sure if you have mentioned your hardware but do you use a breakout board? If not have you checked to make sure your parallel port is putting out a healthy 5V rather than the lower voltage that some do?
Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 11:17:46 PM »
Hi, moonlightmedia

The view I posted is using NC switch's, it resets the green-red Reset just fine on all screen's hear.

Check all your Input's / All pin Assignments and state's bet you have one of your home/limit pins sharing two functions.

PM me your Phone # Ill give you a call, if in USA.

Thanks, Chip
Florida

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:14:53 AM by afn09556 »
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »
Reply to HOOD

Yes, I have changed the debounce settings but upon reflection, perhaps not enough. Is this
setting in milliseconds ? It doesn't show units. I have it set to ten but if that is milliseconds,
it probably should be more like 100.

i

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 08:50:53 AM »
Also add a bit of debounce and see if that helps... 2000 should help if it is a noise problem
This is a quote from Brian in an earlier post to this thread.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 08:55:24 AM »
Reply To HOOD

The voltage swing is from .6 millivolts closed to 4.6 volts open. I do not use a breakout board since
the controller is from CNC Hobbies and comes with the appropriate connector structure. I do realize
that this is not a signal isolated interface. If I were designing a controller (I'm trying hard not to) I would
have made these levels with different drivers and receivers and now seeing what is happening, a bit
of hysteresis wouldn't hurt.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 12:26:38 PM »
Hi, Moonlightmedia

Give this XML file a try, maybe there is a problem with your XML.

Copy it to your Mach3 folder, C:\Mach3 is the default location, load it on mach3 startup.

Pins are set as above for X Y Z, limit's and home, need to change motor pins to your's .

Thanks Chip