Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:39:23 PM

Author Topic: Rotary tables and feed rate  (Read 8162 times)

Rotary tables and feed rate
« on: February 10, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »
I just put together a rotary table and got it up and running. got the step per set properly and its moving great with so little backlash it hardly matters (proud daddy). my only question is. when I do a g01 move and set the feed rate to say 50 it moves incredibly slow. Im pretty sure its because there is a radius compensation going on here. but I have no idea how to set it or where it is located in mock. anyone lend a hand here? ???

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Rotary tables and feed rate
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 07:11:27 PM »
Hi, Bathgate

Are you running it steps per 1 full rotation or steps per deg (one full turn dev. by 360 = steps per deg).

If steps per deg then you probably need to set the Vel and acceleration way up in Motor tuning,

For Rotational View in Config General Logic Config., select Angular Properties check for A axis, Rotational, check options you want.

In Config, ToolPath Config., Rotations check x or y, A-Rota. Enabled and Use Diameter For Feedrate.

My Sherline Table is 144072 steps per turn or 400.2 per deg. vel 2500 accl 500, it turns fast.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 08:16:42 PM »
well Im pretty sure its in steps per degree. If I use g00 it moves plenty fast . and when I tell it to move 5 degrees it moves 5 degrees. its just when I set a feed rate for a g01 at f50. It hardly seems to be moving at 50 inches or degrees per minute. so I was just wondering If there was some sort of radius comp. because it seems to me that the controller is compensating for some abnormally large work piece or something. Im just a little uneasy when my linear motion feed rates are so different from my rotational feedrates. a recipe for disaster if a typo were to get into a program.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 09:04:36 PM »
Hi, Bathgate

I forgot the Settings Page you'll find a Rotation Diameters setting there.

What are your steps per, Vel, Accl settings, Table one full turn steps req.

What version of Mach3 are you using, earlier ver. you needed to set the F-speed way up also.

Fixed around ver 2.030 or so.

Post your XML file

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 12:34:12 PM »
Im using version 2.024

wil check the other settings.
its a pain to post my xml because I dont have my controller hooked up to the interweb so I have to copy it and post it from my laptop. will get around to that eventually.
thanks

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »
Bathgate,

Setting page [ alt 6 ] you have three DRO's top left called rotational settings enter 4.000 for A and run your program.
Note speed.
Then go back and alter this from 4.000 to 1.00 then run same program.
has the A axis decreased in speed ?

If so then the program is running fine and you have to enter a diameter each time you run the A axis.

The led at the side of axis A on the run screen should be lit if rotational settings are enabled

John S.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »
got it. I will check that out.
Im gonna install a newer version of mach anyway. but I have a really dumb question. Im handy capped in that I ve been a MAC user my whole computor life so I get hung up all the time on stupid navigating types of problems. ( I can barely copy a file on a PC) anyway. I cant seem to find where in the blasted world the xml file is to back up my settings. Im using the explorer on my computor and I see a backup xml folder and xmlbackup files. but I cnat figure out where the Mach3.xml file is in my computor so I can copy it.   :-[
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »
I tried messing with the rotational settings dro's and it seems to have no effect on the speed at witch the table spins. It seems to me after thinking about it that the feed rate for the table is in degrees per min. while the rest of the axis are in inches per minute. is there some setting I can change to make the table move in rpm or some other rate that is more compatible with my settup. degrees per minute seems a bit to much to think about
 :P

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 02:40:52 PM »
Hi, Bathgate

Rotational view in latest ver is much better than in ver 2.025.

Where are you located.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 05:36:20 PM »
Baltimore, Maryland, USA..
yeah Im gonna try installing a newer version.