Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:11:55 AM

Author Topic: New and uneducated. Please help.  (Read 3130 times)

New and uneducated. Please help.
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:47:47 AM »
Hi, I want to use a stepper motor for a project at home but I am unsure if it will do what I want. It is extremely simple. I want to use a momentary switch to make a motor turn 90 degrees and then stop and wait until it receives another start signal. This is all it needs to do, all day long.  Is it possible using a stepper motor and Mach 3? I don't want to invest in motors, control gear and software only to find it won't work. Thanks for any help.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: New and uneducated. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »
Sure it can, But you do not need mach3 or stepper motors JUST to that,  (;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I wanted to use a stepper motor for its fexibility. Speed and angle of rotation easy to alter. I need it to index 90 degrees  up to 120 times a minute. Also, if i can get it working i could expand it by adding extra motors. I was looking to control things witb a cheap board from ebay. I think it's a TB6560 or something like that..
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
Gecko Drives is working on a new stepper driver. Was due to be available early this year.
It's an INDEXING stepper drive but do not see it available yet.
All you would need is this one driver and a cheap power supply. (and the motor, of course)
It will be very configurable.
I've been anxiously awaiting it's release as I have an immediate need for several.
There are other commercially available Indexing stepper drives out there, but they are a bit pricey.
I use an older obsolete Parker OEM 010 and it does well, but, I wouldn't pay what they want for a new replacement model.
FWIW,
Russ