Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:15:07 AM

Author Topic: motor noise  (Read 4139 times)

motor noise
« on: March 30, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
Hi -
Not sure where to start......
How do I make all the setting back to default?

I am getting noises from my stepper motors. Just want to start at all default settings.
Thanks
Re: motor noise
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 10:06:52 PM »
I have a sherline lather for inch not metric and sherline stepper motors.
There is a lot of noise when motors are just sitting idle not moving. Noise is a lot less when in motion.

Right now figure if I can just get Mach3 back to defaults but without losing my settings for smooth stepper - would be best place to start.

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:32:47 AM »
Go to the Mach3 folder where you will see a folder called xmlbackups, look for one with the same name as the profile you use and change its file extension to .xml instead of .xb** then copy and paste it into the Mach folder overwriting your current profile. Each time you close Mach a backup is made so you may have quite a few, probably looking for one with an early number would be better for you.
I think however it may be more a drive issue, have you changed any dip switches or anything on your stepper drives recently?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »
This is a new hardware installation
I might remove all the software and start again. Just wanting an XML file with all default settings without losing anything specific to smooth stepper.
Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »
You can just make a new xml from the default settings, there is an option to do that in the Mach Loader. You will have to set everything up again though as motor tuning and ports and pins will all be set to default.. You will also need to choose to use the SS plugin and set up the settings for it if you used any other than the default settings in the plugin.

As I said earlier though, noises from  motors is much more likely a hardware issue than software.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 05:29:51 PM »
Thanks Hood -
Unsure hardware wise - where to start.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »
You were correct again Hood. I wired the motors incorrectly. THANK YOU!@

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile