Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:10:35 AM

Author Topic: Need Help! DSPMC Setup  (Read 34290 times)

Re: Need Help! DSPMC Setup
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »
Ok,  now supplying 5v to the 7535 on J4 from pin 14 of J2.  Using pin 22 on J2 as ground (17 is already being used).  That ground is also connected directly to earth ground via the green/yellow wire.  The Dspmc is also connected directly to earth ground via the green/yellow wire.  Still showing the same issue.  Emailing pictures to you guys, the forum keeps giving me errors trying to attach photos.  Sorry if a dozen or so posts pop up here eventually...

The z axis in on the home switch, as seen on the diagnostics page, i jogged it up with the manual jog on the servo drive.  I still have not been able to get motion from mach/dspmc.  I had the same issue before i did this so i do not believe it is contributing to this problem of mine.  I'm sure this is something simple staring me right in the face, just not seeing it.

Just an off the wall question, does the dspmc need a signal from the charge pump or anything of the sort?  I didn't see anything in the manual about it.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 09:58:26 PM »
The DSPMC does not use a charge pump.
If you set the e-stop to 0,0 like you currently have, you should be able to clear the e-stop by clicking reset on the screen. If it doesn't work then you may have to change the active high to active low.
Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:19 PM »
Temporarily set it to 0:0 and I can't clear it, even changing the active hi/low setting.  The estop circuit isn't causing the estop state, has to be something in the plugin/dspmc.  The only way to clear it is to remove the plugin, but that obviously isn't going to help me much....
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »
hi Tom,

can you email the xml profile and the message log of mach3.

do you have the debug window open?  that will help to isolate the problem.  you can also email the contents of debug window.

also what is the version numbers it reports on the status screen?

rgds
Rufi
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:37:57 PM by vitalsystem »
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
After a plug-in and firmware update all is well in the estop world.  I have the X Y and Z axes running pretty well.  Z still needs a little fine tuning, but very close.

Two hurdles left to jump.

First, the Z axis brake.  With the servo drives set to torque mode they apply zero torque with no input signal.  This is bad news when the Z axis brake is the only thing that holds the Z axis up and it's reaction is delayed.  It seems that when Mach is reset, the PID goes down before the outputs, so when the enable signal goes off to the drive the Z is already on it's way down.  Moving the Z to an output from the dspmc has not helped, it has solved the problem of the servo drive not activating the brake in estop tho.  Currently I don't see a way around this one...suggestions from anyone are very much appreciated.

Second, the spindle. The spindle needs to run as both a spindle and a rotary axis.  As I understand the dspmc is capable of this.  I have the spindle defined as gcode axis with index 5, or same as the C axis.  I also have the C axis set up to use Machxx as an input and DAC Ch 5 and Encoder Ch 5 as inputs.  I can see the encode input working well.  I have also added a button and an M Code (both effectively push button 255) to deactivate the C axis as this is necessary to use it as a spindle, then reactivate to use as an axis.  I've made several attemps to get a voltage signal or some movement as an axis with no luck so far.  I did get a voltage signal when I switched the Spindle to 0-10v with index 7.  The manual states that to use it as a G Code axis it needs to be 0-5 tho.  This is kind of an important function as the spindle indexes the tool changer.  As before, any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

TOM
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
hi Tom,  why you have to run the spindle as open-loop spindle or rotary axis?  what kind of application is it.  I am looking into the issue here and I should have an update for you to email soon.

regards,
Rufi

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »
The spindle drives the tool changer carousel.  There is a gear on the face of the spindle that engages gear on the toolchanger.  Then the spindle is used to index to the next tool.  In the system I ripped out I had to change parameters and settings in the vfd via modbus and drive it with step and direction signals from mach.  Sounded like it would be much easier with the dspmc and the spindle as gcode axis setting.  This afternoon I was able to run the spindle set as 0-10v, and also get some positioning using a (ch3) axis.  Tomorrow going to try the spindle as gcode thing some more.  One question, in the motor outputs tab of the ports and pins window, are values required in the step/dir port and pin for each axis?  The manual dhows a pic of numbers in x thru a, which I copied into mine.  Just curious if these being all 0 for the c axis could have anything to do with my not being able to get it to work on that one.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 04:30:47 AM »
After a plug-in and firmware update all is well in the estop world.  I have the X Y and Z axes running pretty well.  Z still needs a little fine tuning, but very close.

Two hurdles left to jump.

First, the Z axis brake.  With the servo drives set to torque mode they apply zero torque with no input signal.  This is bad news when the Z axis brake is the only thing that holds the Z axis up and it's reaction is delayed.  It seems that when Mach is reset, the PID goes down before the outputs, so when the enable signal goes off to the drive the Z is already on it's way down.  Moving the Z to an output from the dspmc has not helped, it has solved the problem of the servo drive not activating the brake in estop tho.  Currently I don't see a way around this one...suggestions from anyone are very much appreciated.
Hi Tom,
The way I handled the brake on my servos was to use an enable signal from Mach3 to the servo drive. Set up an output on the servo drive so that it controls the brake. When the enable signal drops out the drive applies the brake automatically.

Second, the spindle. The spindle needs to run as both a spindle and a rotary axis.  As I understand the dspmc is capable of this.  I have the spindle defined as gcode axis with index 5, or same as the C axis.  I also have the C axis set up to use Machxx as an input and DAC Ch 5 and Encoder Ch 5 as inputs.  I can see the encode input working well.  I have also added a button and an M Code (both effectively push button 255) to deactivate the C axis as this is necessary to use it as a spindle, then reactivate to use as an axis.  I've made several attemps to get a voltage signal or some movement as an axis with no luck so far.  I did get a voltage signal when I switched the Spindle to 0-10v with index 7.  The manual states that to use it as a G Code axis it needs to be 0-5 tho.  This is kind of an important function as the spindle indexes the tool changer.  As before, any help from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

TOM

This might be a good place for a dspmc macro.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 05:28:01 AM »
That's how I initially had the brake set up, but it seems like the pid of the dspmc shuts down before the outputs, so torque goes to zero then the enable line goes down, this order of things allows the z to drop.  Didn't have this problem when the drives were step/dir because they held position on they're own, but torque mode it doesn't work.

Will look into the dspmc macros for the toolchanger issue.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 06:08:45 AM »
Tom,
That is good info. When I get back to it I will have to seeif I have the same issue.

Mike