Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:10:15 PM

Author Topic: Need Help! DSPMC Setup  (Read 34288 times)

Need Help! DSPMC Setup
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
Setting up a DSPMC with Delta servos and drives.  I have the drives set to speed control mode with ±10V input.  X Y and Z are wired to Ch0, 1, 2 respectively.  Differential encoder outputs from the drives wired to their respective inputs on the DSPMC.  I'm having trouble getting the DSPMC to arm.  I gives me a constant Estop signal in Mach regardless of the position of the estop button.  I can see the estop input turn on and off as it should on the diagnostics page.  The limits/home switches are also set properly.  Everytime I hit the reset button it flashes and jumps back into the reset mode.  The dros/encoder counts jump a little and the servos do move some.  I must be missing something, probably something simple I'm sure.  I'm going to head out to re-check all the connections...again.  And review the servo parameters again.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TOM
Re: Need Help! DSPMC Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
hi Tom,

I think you need to connect the earth ground and a good power connection between the breakout board and the DSPMC.  attached is a hand drawn wiring diagram.   we will include a cleaner version in the user guide soon.

also make sure the signal ground on the servo drives is connected to J2 common and earth ground.

regards,
Rufi

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:28:22 PM »
Thank you Rufi for the prompt response.

I have good earth grounds to the DSPMC and also both the 5v and 24v external power supplies.  My set up is a bit different than you drawing.  I have a 7535N, 5v power from the exernal supply, for my digital i/o and standard db25 bobs for j2, j6 and j7.  Everything going through the 7535N is working properly.  The encoder inputs in j6 and j7 seem to be working properly, I can see the movement in Mach and it does appear to be correct distances.

The message bar in Mach says "estop button pressed", the physical button clearly is not and the input led agrees.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »
double checked the 10v and ground signals to the servo drive and they are good.  ground has a good connection to earth.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »

well, then follow the 7535 J8  to DSPMC J2 wiring as shown in the drawing.  It is extremely important.  I think you are missing a solid common ground connection between your 5v external power supply and DSPMC.  You really don't need an external 5v supply for 7535 breakout.  DSPMC has enough current on 5v power.

regards,
Rufi

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »
J2 goes to a standard bob not a 7535.  The signal grounds on J2 have a solid connection to earth ground according to my meter.  The 5v supply was already in there so I just wired it up, it's closer to the bobs.  The 5v supply has a solid connection to earth ground as well.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »
Ok let me say it differently.  take a 18 gauge or so wire and connect it between 7535 J8 negative terminal and DSPMC J2 pin 17.  also connect DSPMC J2 pin 17, 7, 22 and 25 to the negative of your 24v and 5v power supply.  Let me know how that works.

-rufi

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
I will be back at the machine tomorrow am.  Will give it a shot and report back.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 06:42:51 AM »
Setting up a DSPMC with Delta servos and drives.  I have the drives set to speed control mode with ±10V input.  X Y and Z are wired to Ch0, 1, 2 respectively.  Differential encoder outputs from the drives wired to their respective inputs on the DSPMC.  I'm having trouble getting the DSPMC to arm.  I gives me a constant Estop signal in Mach regardless of the position of the estop button.  I can see the estop input turn on and off as it should on the diagnostics page.  The limits/home switches are also set properly.  Everytime I hit the reset button it flashes and jumps back into the reset mode.  The dros/encoder counts jump a little and the servos do move some.  I must be missing something, probably something simple I'm sure.  I'm going to head out to re-check all the connections...again.  And review the servo parameters again.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TOM

Hi Tom,
A couple of things jump out at me.
1. I would consider running the drives in torque mode. I don't recall exactly why but that is what I do and the way I have seen it done on many machines.
2. What are you getting for an error message in the Mach3 message bar? It could be that your servos are tripping out due to a following error.
3. Have you been able to tune the servos from the Mach3 plugin setup page?

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 07:40:57 AM »
I was able to tune out some of the drift in the drive.  The servo drives are not faulting out.  So the drifting issue is gone.  I can try torque mode, but would like to get the system up before making other changes.  I pulled a different motion controller out to put the dspmc in.  The servos are unchanged, just changed input settings and switched from step/dir to analog.

have not been able to tune them in the plugin, i can't get mach out of the reset state.  The message bar says the estop is pushed.  The physical button is not and the estop led on the diagnostics page is off.  As far as I can tell the estop circuit itself works as it should.