Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:50:17 PM

Author Topic: First set up problems with on board and pci parallel port.  (Read 4909 times)

First set up problems with on board and pci parallel port.
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
I recently picked up a little milling machine and control box that recommends Mach3.  Unfortunately I cant seem to get any response from the machine despite trying both on board and pci parallel ports.  When using the on board port it appeared that the pin out may have been wrong on my dongle as it showed y axis stop switch needed to be on low setting and the other axes needed to be normal.  On top of that there was no indication when manually tripping the stop switches.  I know the port is being recognized (maybe improperly) because the led indicators on the pins in the diagnostic tab changes when the controller is turned on.  I can control the machine using a handheld controller plugged into the control box and it runs smoothly.  I have followed all the troubleshooting advice I can find on site here and across the cnc forums in general without solving the problem; including ensuring the pin and port designation.  I will include computer details below and would be very appreciative of any advice or ideas to get this setup running on with Mach.

MB: MSI A55M-P33 w/ AMD A4-3400 processor (has on board expansion for parallel, but pin out may be atypical)
PCI Parallel: Rosewill RC304 (does not appear to be recognized properly by the software despite setting correct port)
Controller is JY5300 made by a company called MIB instruments (works with hand controller but the parallel port here could be an issue, doubtful in my opinion as it was tested on sight before shipping and packaged with enough foam to survive an airdrop)

As I said above, any input would be appreciated before I lose more hair over the troubleshoot and I'm about to build a homemade port tester on a breadboard to run the port issue to ground but would rather not have to start another project to finish this one (as this course of action has led to many a sleepless week on prior endeavors)

Thanks to all who consider a solution,

Will Hurley

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: First set up problems with on board and pci parallel port.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »
Hi Will,

Welcome to the forum.

As your are using WinXP, Parmon http://www.geekhideout.com/parmon.shtml will show the states of your parallel port pins, if this is any help.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
Great help Tweakie, thanks for the welcome.  I'll post back when I diagnose the issue and fix it.

much appreciated,
Will
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »
I have determined the issue does lay in the main controller box.  I popped the top to check fuses and obvious shorting on the boards, neither of which were directly evident, but there was a loose double female brass board spacer bouncing around under the main board.  I suspect it caused a short that killed the leg to the parallel port but didn't do enough to terminate function completely.  I am going to hook it up once more for the unlikely chance that the spacer was just affecting some low current circuit and didn't actually melt in a permanent short.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:05:52 AM »
Problem solved in case anyone has a similar issue.  Inoperative USB failed to power the controller logic engine, switched out and everything ran smoothly.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:41:08 AM »
Hi Will,

I am pleased that you have the problem sorted.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE