Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:57:22 PM

Author Topic: Spindle runs in Parallel mode OK but not in ESS ?  (Read 16714 times)

Re: Spindle runs in Parallel mode OK but not in ESS ?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »
Update :-

Today I got some work done and also tried a couple of things but nothing changed, still the same issue, everything will run fine at spindle speeds of 2200rpm and below.

Even tried a different PC with a different version of Mach3 and a different Smoothstepper Plugin, I didn`t transfer the XML file from the original PC, instead I opted to do the new one from scratch, still exactly the same.

As for "noise" issues, I even got an old mains drill that the brushes are shot on and ran it inside the mani cabinet with all the electronics, it is so bad that at around 5~6ft from a radio it blanks the radio, didn`t make any difference, should have sent everything haywire in my mind.  ???  ???  ???

Regards
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:59 PM »
If you want to attach your xml I will have a look and see if there are any issues in it.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
OK, will do, it will be later tomorrow as I have some shopping to do in the morning  ;D

Regards
Rob
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »
Hi Hood

XML file attached, thanks for your time looking at this  ;D   ;D

Regards
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »
I thought you were controlling the spindle speed from Mach but looks like you must be doing it externally, is that correct?
Hood
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 04:18:26 PM »
I thought you were controlling the spindle speed from Mach but looks like you must be doing it externally, is that correct?
Hood

Not as far as I am aware, all speed commands are done in Mach and step pulses are output from Pin 1 via a straight "pass through" BOB to a step pulse to analog 0~10 volts output converter and the 0~10 Volts are fed to the input of the DC Drive unit, that`s all there is.

Regards
Rob
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
Thinking about what you said I suppose it is external in a way, as I see it the ESS takes the Mach3 "numbers" ie axis motors, coolant and spindle etc so looking at the system that way then the control will be from the ESS motion control card and not actually from Mach.

Did that make sense ??? Did when I typed but not when I re-read it  ::)  ::)

Regards
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
Well the attached xml seemed to not have the spindle options set in the plugin, ie you have it set to Relay or None rather than Step/Dir. Maybe I looked at the wrong xml, will look again.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
Just looked again and you dont have the spindle set up in ESS so possibly you attached the wrong xml?
Hood
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 05:04:24 PM »
Definitely was set to step/direction, yes I agree that it doesn`t show in the XML file in the ESS section, the setting for the pulse width is there, showing as 5us, all the other settings are as I did them.

Looking like the ESS plugin may not be transferring that setting to the XML file and/or loading it to the ESS card, a "bug" maybe ???

Regards
Rob