Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:02:52 AM

Author Topic: Spindle runs in Parallel mode OK but not in ESS ?  (Read 16712 times)

Spindle runs in Parallel mode OK but not in ESS ?
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, if not then my apologies in advance as I am new to this Forums ways/layouts :)

My issue is that when using the ESS system I can only get the spindle to run constantly at 2200rpm or less, it will run at higher speeds but not for long and it appears that the higher the speed (Max 4000) the quicker that everything "drops out" and goes to "E Stop Condition".

Pressing the on screen Mach3 "Reset" button will reset the system and the spindle can be started again straight away.

There are no "error" or "alarm" messages and no fault lights on the spindle drive.

Setup is :-

Latest Mach3 lockdown 66 version (62 version has also been tried but just the same)
Latest Smoothstepper version ESS_v10h2d1a (Version ESS_v10eb1a has also been tried but same issue)
CNC Doctor isolated spindle step/dir to Analaog converter http://www.cncdoctor.co.uk/b1-vsc-v1_64.html
Motion Control simple BOB, straight through no electronics on board
Smoothstepper ESS board
Spindle motor 4000rpm Brushed DC Servo with Tacho feedback to drive
Sprint Electronics DC Motor drive (New)

Everything looks OK, output to the Sprint DC Motor from the step/dir to analog is correct, eg, set 2000rpm in MDI in Mach3 and the output is 5Volt DC, 3000rpm will output 7.5Volts DC, drive has been adjusted to give the actual correct rpms for these inputs and with a cheap Laser Tacho speed checker speeds are within acceptable tolerances. The "ramp up" has been backed right off so I don`t think it is that.

I am sure it has to be a setting either in Mach3 or the ESS plugin that I have missed/got wrong but for the life of me I can`t find anything that makes any difference. It all works OK on a Parallel port but I am trying to get away from using these due to problems with "pins" going down.

Any/all help no matter how great/small will be much appreciated as this is costing me a fortune in headache pills  :) :) :)

Regards
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle runs in Parallel mode OK but not in ESS ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
Maybe try reducing the pulse width in the ESS plugin for the spindles step/dir signal.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
Maybe try reducing the pulse width in the ESS plugin for the spindles step/dir signal.
Hood

Hi Hood

Thanks for the reponse, worth a try, if memory serves it is currently 5us, same as Mach3, the machine is at work so I can`t try it till tomorrow, let you know how it goes :) :)

Regards
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »
Could also just be noise tripping the ESS, you may want to set a small value in the ESS plugin for the E-Stop filtering.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
Could also just be noise tripping the ESS, you may want to set a small value in the ESS plugin for the E-Stop filtering.
Hood

Thanks, I`ll have a look at that as well, it is a possibility although the "tipping point" is very specific, spindle will run all day at 2200rpm, at 2250rpm it will go into E stop condition in around 15 minutes run time :) :)

Regards
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
it could be that the spindle produces more noise (electrical) at higher revs.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »
it could be that the spindle produces more noise (electrical) at higher revs.
Hood

I agree, could be possible, the spindle is after all a DC Brushed Servo motor so will be producing some electrical "noise" for sure, why it would manifest itself at that specific point is a mystery though.

I won`t make any of the suggested mods on the PC that is running the machine, right now I have to get some work out the door, I do however have another PC that I have fitted with a new SSD drive and a new clean install of XP Pro, there is nothing elese on the PC only Mach3 with the ESS plugin and the "Configurator" software so I`ll make my changes there and use it for testing :) :)

Regards
Rob
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
OK, I did try changing the pulse width from 5us to 3us, didn`t make a difference.

Also tried putting a value in the E Stop noise filter, now it got really weird ???

Spindle would now run at the full max speed of 4000rpm without tripping out, however the E Stop still did, it stopped the axis movement but not the spindle, that just kept running, Mach reset button flashing as it should (Now here is the weird bit) but when pressed the spindle then stops ???

Not had time to try anything else today, trying to get work out  ;D  ;D

Regards
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 03:48:59 AM »
What value did you put in? It should be low, maybe 1.43 or maybe 2.86 but not too high, go over 10 and you may run into delay issues.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 04:50:27 AM »
I did start with the lowest value of 1.43, was thinking of working my way up a level at a time in multiples of the base 1.43, if I get time I`ll try another step today ;D  ;D

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated  ;D

Regards
Rob