Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 07:19:01 PM

Author Topic: Ballscrew End Machining  (Read 19228 times)

Ballscrew End Machining
« on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »
Hey folks, greetings !
I need to do some end machining on a ballscrew.
This one is a precision rolled model, about 30mm OD, 20mm lead, 2 start.
I've read articles describing the actual ball track not being true (concentric) to the OD of the screw.
I plan to do the machining in a 4 jaw chuck using the tailstock and a live center in a manual lathe.
What is the method used to pick up and dial in the actual ball track to ensure that all machining is absolutely concentric to the tracks ?
Engaging the half nut crossed my mind, but that won't work because there is no 20mm selection available. (NO metric actually) Even so, I would not trust that the leadscrew would be a perfect match or precise enough anyway.

I have also found, on other ballscrews, that the OD of the nut is not perfectly concentric to the tracks either. I machine a mounting for a precision ballscrew assembly once and then needed to allow the nut mount to float slightly to self-align before final fastening. It was clearly off a few of thousandths.

So, how in the heck is this typically done accurately ? ???

Thanks if you can help, and thanks for your attention.

Regards,
Russ

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Ballscrew End Machining
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
I suppose if you put the ball of an indicator in the thread valley, and then traverse 1/4 of the lead distance on every quarter turn, that would get you pretty darn close.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »
Hi Sam, I see what you're sayin'. (if only I could hear what you're lookin' at  :) )

At each position, I could wiggle the carriage left and right to see the minimum indicator reading.
Sort of like indicating the flats on a piece of square stock by slightly turning the chuck back and forth.

Good tip, I think I can get it extremely close this way.
Thanks Sam,
Russ
 :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »
Russ,
Are you going to anneal the ends so you can machine them?
I did mine without annealing and must say it was not an easy task for the lathe. The hardening went a good .040" below the ball surface.
Even if you get the ball screw spot on it for the end chances are that the screw bows or is not straight
over it's entire length so back to letting it float some when installing.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:00:26 PM »
Hey Rich,
  One end is soft enough as it has been machined, that end just needs to be modified.
The other end will be where I cut the screw to a shorter length so it will be hard.
It will be a short turning for the free end bearing, 25mm dia., so I will first attempt to get under the kin, then anneal if necessary.
Here's another question.
When annealing, how can one limit the heat from affecting more of the screw than necessary ?
I'll use a torch, but annealing ONLY 1" of a 30mm shaft seems difficult. The nut will not travel to this region in this application, but how would one "shield" the screw IF it were necessary ?
Years ago, while in a welding shop we used some sloppy heat shield stuff in a bucket. Like shredded fiber and goo. Very expensive if I recall.

Thanks Rich,
Russ

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 09:58:58 PM »
so I will first attempt to get under the kin, then anneal if necessary.
You've got it bakerds. Anneal to soften, then cut.

When annealing, how can one limit the heat from affecting more of the screw than necessary ?
To my understanding, you can't. That's just the nature of the beast. Generally speaking, the only part of the material that will be annealed is the orange/red heated part, not the lesser heated parts so much. So you wouldn't really need to worry much. Get the torch on there and get the job done though. Don't fiddle fart around and let the heat go any further than necessary. Annealing usually involves letting the material cool at its own paces, in air. I'm not a master Jedi annealer, however, so corrections might be in order.
If it were me, I would cut the screw with a thin cut-off disk close to length. You know, those thin ones that you typically use on a die grinder.
Put a broken/dull carbide insert in the tool holder and get all the hard stuff out of the way. Yeah, it will break again, but who cares....it's already broke/dull. Another example of why NOT to trash all of your broken carbide.
Replace with good insert and finish it out. Ceramic if you have one. If not, no biggie.

I have also used the cut off disk, or grinder, to grind away the hard stuff. It's an easy and quick way to get to the soft stuff, and does not put excess heat into the shaft. Not very scientific, but it aint gottta be.

Since your just doin the one, skipping the annealing all together is what I would do. If you were doin quiet a few, it might make more sense to anneal before cutting.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 06:58:41 AM »
I basicaly have done same as Sam replied and just rough ground the end and finish turned.
PITA no matter what you do!

RICH

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »
so I will first attempt to get under the kin, then anneal if necessary.
You've got it bakerds. Anneal to soften, then cut.

Hi Sam, that's what I meant. I'll try it "as is" first .... then only anneal it if I can't dig the hard stuff off.

I did 2 small 12mm THK screws the way you descrbe, took several sharpenings but eventually got it done. PITA !

Thanks Sam,
Russ

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »
Rich,
   Yep, the same way I did the cheap Thomson screws on my first homebrew lathe.
It worked, just wasn't sure that it was proper.

Thanks again folks,
Russ
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »
Well .... I'm sure you all have heard the phrase "Hard as a (something or another  >:D)" A few come to mind here. ;D
I have a NEW one ...."Hard as a Rexroth !"   :)
What a RPITA, but it came out OK after annealing.
I'm confident that it is within .0003"   Close enough for me !

Brings up another question though ..... How do they make a precision ROLLED ballscrew anyway ?
I understand heat treating then grinding a ground type, but how do they roll, then harden, then polish, then straighten ? ? ? ? ? ? Or what ?  ???

Thanks for the tips folks,
Russ  8)