Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:59:51 AM

Author Topic: Install issue  (Read 10049 times)

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: Install issue
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 09:36:26 AM »
I know this is likely aimed at jhaddy but I normally don't do installs with Run as.... I do have an admin account and always logon with that, the ONLY account on my computers. I'm not sure if Windows 7 admin accounts are the same as Windows XP admin accounts. All my computers are Windows 7 or Windows 8. Some Windows 7 32 and some 64, all Windows 8 are 64 bit.

That said, I'm sitting at a Windows 7 64 laptop that hasn't seen the wizard installed, so if I can try it some way or other, tell me and I'll install it and see where the files go. I'm guessing installing normally from an admin account would be normal, rather than Run as....

And I don't know what "installed under admin and not username" means, but like I said, I only have one account on each of my computers and they're "admin" accounts.

Tom
--
Tom

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
OK, it's all coming back to me. The installer WON'T run in an administrator Windows 7 account. You get the error about opening NFS_Mill.exe, the screenie I posted at the start of this thread, reply #2. So the ONLY apparent choice is Run as Administrator which likely starts the dilemna. Once the installer is run with Run as Administrator, it'll act differently and put files different places, maybe? But either way, no apparent choice of how to run it on Windows 7 other than Run as Administrator. And........that doesn't seem to comply with Microsoft's rules.......most installers don't require being run as administrator.

When the installer is Run as Administrator, it puts the exe stuff in C:\Program Files(x86), probably right, but it puts it's other files in C:\Users\username\Wizards|Mill. Then when you try to run the program, it can't find the files because it's looking in Documents. To compound this, I always move my My Documents to a different drive (a newfangled small SSD as boot drive thing!), so it really can't find it!! This is all documented with screenshots and explanation at the beginning of this thread. Same issue right now installing anew on this laptop.

I know........install a nice clean version of Windows XP, where an administrator account is a 'real' administrator account, and quit whining :-\ Sadly, most of us have moved on, me among them.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:11:26 AM by thosj »
--
Tom
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »
The installer wants to put the .exe in the  C:\Program Files(x86) folder. On Win7 the system doesnt allow that unless you run as admin. The common way is to right click on the install file name and select 'Run as'

It places the user files in the folder pointed to by $PROFILE which windows sets to the users path. So if you are running in the admin account you wind up with the files under  in C:\Users\admin\Wizards|Mill.

I suspect when you make your own user folder windows doesnt fix the $PROFILE envvar.

Right now I dont know how to get around this, other than to put your user folder where microsoft wants it, or to manually move the folders after the install to your user folder.

I will continue to work on this.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:16:08 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing my files end up the My Documents directory if you know how to do that!

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »
Ron,

This really needs to be looked at. I was the guy in the red sweatshirt at the seminar at Cabin Fever today. Like I said there, right clicking the installer and choosing Run as Administrator is NOT, IMHO, the usual way to install a Windows Program. At the very least, simply double clicking the installer needs to throw up a warning box stating that it must be run as administrator. But in reality, it needs to store it's user files somewhere more common, like My Documents.

As it stands right now I can't figure out how to run the Wizard on this Win 7 64 laptop. I'm currently installed, but trying to run the program, I get an error that it can't find it's files in My Documents, where it's NOT SUPPOSED TO BE PUTTING THEM in the first place. I have MOVED the My Documents folder to the D:\ drive with Windows usual, documented, method of doing so, so Windows knows where it is. But the installer is putting them somewhere then apparently looking for them in My Documents, and not Windows idea of where My Documents is. I tried running the Wizard as administrator and get the same error. I'll uninstall, and try a couple different ways, but right now, I'm stumped.

Tom
--
Tom

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »
OK, I moved my My Documents back to the Windows default location, ran the installer as administrator, and now it works. If it isn't installing the user files in My Documents, why do I get an error starting the program about it can't write to My Documents?

It appears the user files are installed in C:\Users\myusername\Wizards, which I don't like much, but us usable. I'd prefer my user files in My Documents\Wizards.

And like I said, the installer needs to throw up a message if not run as administrator if you insist on the idea that it MUST be run as administrator.

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2013, 07:08:38 AM »
Brian and I talked about these issues last night,, we will continue to discuss it. When I get back to my dev machine I work with the installer package and see what can be done.