Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:01:22 PM

Author Topic: Install issue  (Read 9463 times)

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Install issue
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
I installed the wizard and trying to open it it says it can't create files that appear to be in My Documents. I've moved the location of My Documents folder on all my computers. Is that a problem? If I try to start a job it says it can't find files in Documents, like material.txt. I'll attach a couple screen shots.

I thought I posted here yesterday, but I don't see the post. Must have done something wrong.

Edit...........

Sure enough, I moved the My Documents back to the "legit" location and it works. Is it possible to change this and make it point to the Windows internal My Documents location instead of being hard coded however it is now? I'm on Windows 7 if it matters.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:14:02 PM by thosj »
--
Tom
Re: Install issue
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:32:49 PM »
The wizards now use the Microsoft standards for file placement. The exe is installed in c:\ProgramFiles\Wizards\Mill The users files, like job files, tooltable, and gcofe go in C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Wizards\Mill

If you have moved MyDocuments it should not matter but if you have moved your user folder then it will fail.

Did the install run without error, and it is failing on start up of the wizard?

Material.txt is still in the .exe folder instead of the user settings folder. We should correct that to be consistent.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
The install ran fine, but it failed on run the wizard exe. I've corrected the location of My Documents and all seems well. I've never moved my "user" folder, not even sure I know how, only my documents folder. It failed and worked after I moved it back home. I don't know why. Windows 7, not being documents and settings but My Documents? I don't know.

Now, I tried to install on the machine computer, also Windows 7 32 bit, the one where the license would go and it fails to install. I'll attach another screenshot. I moved My Documents to the default location before trying, but now it appears to have a problem with Programs folder.
--
Tom
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »
Ok, this one looks like the permission problem in win7. You have to run as Administrator to install in win7. Right click on the installer exe file and choose the run as.. choice.

Damn I hate microsoft install issues.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »
Yup, that IS strange as both pc's are Win7 32, both have administrator accounts, and both have UAC set the same (default). Why on one I'd have to run the installer as administrator manually and one just run it by double clicking is a mystery. If you have any ideas, as you likely see more of this than I do, I'd appreciate a hint.  >:(
--
Tom

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »
I'm still somewhat confused by these file locations. The exe is normal, Program Files, but the data files, they all appear to be in C:\Users\username\Wizards. Nothing seems to by in Windows default Documents location, at least on Windows 7.

I loaded the Example1 job and it couldn't find the engraving font even though I installed to the default location. I browsed to the same default location and picked what seemed to be the font, and sure enough all was good.

So......still confused by file locations. Not that it's too big a deal but my attention came on one computer where I'd moved the Documents folder in Windows and it couldn't find anything, I moved it back, it was OK, but really, the files aren't there anyway? Hmmmmm.......

And.......the only way I am going to even SEE gcode output is by buying this? I was hoping to at least SEE it, even if I couldn't SAVE it and RUN it without a paid license.

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:55 AM »
I downloaded the NewFangled Mill Wizard this evening and observed some issues with the install onto a Win 7 (64) machine.
I needed to run the installer as administrator; which I suspect caused the default setup files (in the directory tree Wizards) to be written to Users\Admin\ rather than to Users\john.

The result of this was a failure to start nicely unless I ran the Wizards as administrator. Copying the Wizards file tree across to my working directory seems to have fixed the problem, but I'd have to rate this installation as only marginally successful.

I also think it's a little dictatorial to place the Wizards tree automagically at the root of the user account with no install-time option of change. Acceptable for beta s/w perhaps, but I'd like to see it fixed once out of beta.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
What he said!!

I'd also really like to see the gcode before I pay. It's just me, and I'm sure the gcode will "run the machine" but I'd like to see it in the demo so I can tell how much editing I'd need to do for my somewhat special application where I use my BP clone knee to do tool length comp, don't use G43 Hxx, but instead use M843 and M849 macros I've written. Its a task I have my CAM post doing with aplomb. It'd be nice to use these wizards for simple stuff, but I need to see if the saving would balance the effort to edit ALL output.

I'm going to be at Cabin Fever hoping to attend Friday's seminars, so maybe I can get in the comfort zone there!!

Tom
--
Tom
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »
This whole install thing was done to be compliant with the microsoft requirements for applications. I have to admit I don't like it either, but Brian wants to 'follow the rules'

I have not seen the problem of putting the user files under the admin path- when I have run it they come out as expected under the user name

Did you do a 'Run as' or were you logged in as admin?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
Brian want to include a post option in V2, but that is going to be at least many months (a year?) from now.

We will have demo systems at cabin fever, both in the seminar and on the exhibit floor Saturday and Sunday and you will be able to use one and try whatever you want.