Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 03:19:29 PM

Author Topic: Interested in Low Power Laser Engraving  (Read 6466 times)

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
Interested in Low Power Laser Engraving
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
Hi all,

I would like to do some "low power laser" engraving on wood, such as Tweakie shows on his site (http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/18.htm).  I contacted Tweakie and he says that the equipment available now is better than it was when he did his work shown.  Well I don't know a dang thing about lasers of any kind and would really like to see what anyone has used for this or tell me what would work.  All I am looking to accomplish is a basic wood burning pen effect, nothing fancy like lithoplanes.  Help!  :)

Thanks,
Nick
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:38:06 PM by Bodini »
Re: Interested in Low Power Laser Engraving
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
Nick,

Look here to see where we are with the art today.

http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-25

Please join the forum.  It's Hungarian, but we have an English section, and Google translate takes care of the rest.

It is easy to get started, but does take a little investment.

Regards,
John Champlain

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:38:40 PM »
Just remember those pretty lights will burn your eyes out in a flash. Safety first.

Just a thought, (;-0 TP

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 07:59:50 PM »
Nick,

Look here to see where we are with the art today.

http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-151-25

Please join the forum.  It's Hungarian, but we have an English section, and Google translate takes care of the rest.

It is easy to get started, but does take a little investment.

Regards,
John Champlain

Hi John,

Tweakie sent me to that thread too.  It's pretty impressive.  All i want is simple line work burned!  I'll join and hope to get started in the right direction.

Thanks,

Nick

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »
Just remember those pretty lights will burn your eyes out in a flash. Safety first.

Just a thought, (;-0 TP

Yes, I have been made aware of the eye dangers.  The other danger is reading WTH the guys like John Champlain are doing... I may have suffered brain damage just by trying to follow along. ;-)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »
Nick,
I'll be glad to help whatever I can.  I also do a lot of simple line art as you are interested in, and I use Cut2D to generate some of my gcode files.  Although I now use an analog controller for my diode, my first controller was home built.  There are several choices of diodes and controllers available from eBay sellers, and with care a simple laser diode system can be configured relatively inexpensively when compared to the cost of a cnc router.

As to safety, Terry's warning should be well heeded.  I have my entire machine enclosed in a box with a solid cover, and I always use safety glasses when I have to fire the diode with the cover open.  My setup is also located on a screened back porch of my home so fumes will easily dissipate (keeps the wife happier  :D, and I also use fans to assist fume removal. 

John

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »
Thanks John,

I just want to know what to buy and the best way for it to be hooked up.  This laser would be mounted onto my existing small gantry router and used for 4th axis engraving.  My electronics experience is limited to picking out the right resistor for an led and thats about it.  ;)  I have just finished rewiring a retrofit machine (a 3'x6' holhzer gantry router) so wiriring and whatnot is done easy enough.  I also have a manual bridgeport mill and asian lathe, so making up a holder for the laser is no prob.

I look forward to some advice!  ;D

Thanks,

Nick
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
Nick,
To get started, it will take some study on your part.  This is a good forum to begin with: http://laserpointerforums.com/

There is a lot of good info on the forum, as well as a lot of nonsense.  The nonsense will be evident.

Most items you will need can be had on eBay from various sellers, most of whom are regulars on the laser forum.

A couple of guys on hobbycncart forum purchased their lasers wired and ready to go.  I don't know from whom, but we can find out.

How you get setup will depend a lot on your budget available and electronic/electrical skills.  It is easy to ruin a +$50 laser diode with wiring/installation mistakes.  Please don't ask how I know this  :(

Please feel free to PM me at: picengraveATverizon.net.

Regards,
John Champlain
John   

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
HIYA John, have you ever done any 3d engraving of crystal blocks, the type where it is engraved at the center of the block not the outside?

(;-) TP
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:04:09 PM »
Hi Terry,
No, I don't have the large laser required for that.  I'm strictly hobby level. That's more on the order that Tweakie might be able to do with his CO2 laser.

Best Regards,
John