Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:57:11 PM

Author Topic: Spindle index on Optimum D280x700 Vario Lathe  (Read 15907 times)

Re: Spindle index on Optimum D280x700 Vario Lathe
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
So the encoder should be attached to an external controller which will then feed the rpm into mach3?
Can you point me in a direction of such one?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
If using an encoder then the pulse width is likely far too short for the parallel port to see correctly.Index pulses from encoders can be used when using most external devices for motion control, devices such as the Smoothstepper, CSMIO/IP-S, DSPMC, Kflop etc.
You can not use one of these devices to just input the index pulse and still use the parallel port for axis control as these devices are used instead of the parallel port.

If you wish to use the parallel port for motion control and use an encoers index pulse then you will likely need to build a circuit that will stretch the index pulse so that it is wide enough for the parallel port to see, you may find info if you search for something like circuit to stretch index pulse.

Hood

Oh and just in case you were thinking me rude, as my last comment sounded harsh when I said "wasting my time" I didnt really mean it in that sense but rather just it is unlikely that anything in your xml will be the problem.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »
No worries, I didn't even get the rude part ;)

I guess going with the CSMIO/IP-M + CSMIO-ENC will make my life a lot easier.
Also is it possible to wire in the existing controller to the IO of the CSMIO?

Eventually I may scrap that controller and get some new stepper drivers.
The ones in the controller are 40V ??A (http://www.optimum-machines.com/products/cnc-pc-controls-complete-and-adapter-kit/6/cnc-controller-iii-and-vi/index.html)
What drivers would you recommend?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »
Ok be careful of that particular controller, it is nice for a mill but at this point in time I do not think it supports threading. Also I do not think it supports the Encoder module, the A and S do but dont think the M does. It is planned to have lathe threading in the M version but when I do not know so check with Andrew at CS-Lab and see what he says before you buy one.
 Hood
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 08:38:48 PM »
Ok be careful of that particular controller, it is nice for a mill but at this point in time I do not think it supports threading. Also I do not think it supports the Encoder module, the A and S do but dont think the M does. It is planned to have lathe threading in the M version but when I do not know so check with Andrew at CS-Lab and see what he says before you buy one.
 Hood

If you learn more about this, please post your findings.
Following this with much interest
Have an "M" here to install in the near future.
Thanks,
Russ
 :)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 04:55:35 AM »
Just got off the phone with CS-Lab and the answer is no regarding the -M controller.
So I went ahead and ordered the 6axis controller and the encoder module.
I'll post what I learn here.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:07:15 AM by gallenat0r »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 06:39:03 AM »
Hi gallenat0r
was that answer regarding the M that it will never do threading? or was it that at this point in time it does not?
 I had heard from someone else that there were plans to make it do threading but that it would just be via a single index pulse rather than full encoder following as the A and S do.

With regards the S and threading, I have one on a small lathe and it has slight issues in threading but this is due to the way Mach is sending info to the plugin. It seems any of the external controllers that use this method (Z geared to spindle encoder) have this issue. I did find that an older version of Mach improved the pullout rate significantly but sadly spindle override was not available in that version. I asked Brian if he knew what the issue was and if he could change later versions to perform like the older version but he just said he didnt have a clue and sadly that was the end of it.

Good news is that Mach4 should not have any issues in this regard or so I am assured by Steve as he said he will make sure things are handled correctly in this respect. Only thing about that is Mach4 will likely not be usable on a lathe for a long time as it seems to be the way that mills/routers get all the attention and lathes get thrown the scraps :(

Here is my report of my progress with the CSMIO/IP-S on my small lathe.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,22268.0.html
Hood
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43:20 AM »
The answer was just "NĂ³" to a fairly long question, so I wasn't going to ask specifically.
Maybe when someone who is a bit more fluid in English reads my email I'll get a longer answer :D
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 08:47:19 AM »
Lets hope so.
Simple INDEX would be fine for me.
Thanks for posting gallenat0r,
Russ
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 06:52:01 AM »
I got the package yesterday, which was lightning fast compared to the usual Chinese transport eta.
Well I suppose Poland is closer to Denmark in that way ;)

I have started connecting the controller to some M542 drivers I had lying around.
I get the STEP/DIR setup, but how is enable+ and enable- connected?

I eventually plan to use Gecko 203v drivers and they only have one disable pin, how is that connected to the CSMIO?

--
Kind regards,
Jens