Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:35:59 PM

Author Topic: South Bend Fourteen Lathe conversion  (Read 33027 times)

Offline Telco

•  21 21
    • View Profile
South Bend Fourteen Lathe conversion
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
Hello all, we are converting a 1981 south bend fourteen , using the mach3 lathe kit, 750oz teco servo motors. This machine Is in good condition,  we painted it right after we bought it, and have been running it on a regular basis..as far as the conversion, we have the servos mounted On aluminum plates , and will drive the lead screw and crosslide with timing belts. the lathe has a vari- drive, but speed will be controlled by  a 3HP Mitsubishi VFD .it should be here tomorrow, and I think all we will will lack are limit switches and a box for the motion control and drivers. After this is done, the lathe will get flood coolant, and a custom aluminum enclosure .I'll post more current pics asap. The front drive will eventually be moved to the back of machine, for now faster is better.All input and advice is greatly appreciated.
I'll update pics soon

Offline Telco

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Re: South Bend Fourteen Lathe conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
Nice!  Looks like a solid piece of iron to work with.  That long slide'll be nice if you go for gang tooling.  Keep the posts & pics coming!

I like the custom infinitely-adjustable handle on the front. ;D
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »
I converted a Colchester Master and the thing that made the most differance on power/torque/accuracy was the fitting of ball screws instead of leadscrews and nuts.
Graham

Offline Telco

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:59:26 AM »
Thanks Dickie, It is a good running machine. We have made much progress in last few days, I will post pics tomorrow.  Ball screws will be one of the next things to be replaced, but its going to have to wait  a few weeks. The variable speed reeves drive that came on this machine is only in the way now, im thinking it should be completely removed. Any Thoughts on this guys?  The handle has been there since the first time i ran this machine, and is quite reliable...

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 09:47:48 AM »
I have a SB 14 as well and have contemplated doing just this.  did some work on the vari drive (mine did not work) what I did was lock the discs in one place with a plastic spacer. which keeps the gearbox in place and allows you to tweak the speed by machining a new spacer I suspect that what I have is going to be fine. I have ran it on low and high but have not purchased a vfd as of yet. I will be watching this with much interest. let me know if you need more information on the vari drive I have pictures. also i am the list owner of the SB14 yahoo group.

archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine

Offline Telco

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
Everything is coming along.  i had been having problems getting the computer configured properly, and with a little tech support i found out i cooked somthing in the motion controller. :o.machmotion has been great, and ive sent the controller to them to be repaired. Should have it back aroud the end of the week. mechanically everything looks as if its going to work out fine. Going by the rule of tuning the motors to "sound good" , 80 IPM is the upper limit of how fast the carridge wil travel. Before i sent the motion controller to machmotion, i had both axis accurate to .001, maybe better...I removed the vari drive completely, and used the origional pullies locked in place to maintain the hi/lo range in the gearbox. This thing runs much smoother and quieter with the gears for the lead screw bypassed and the VFD contolling the spindle. Ill make a video when i get the controller back and working..This has been one heck of a project. i really had no idea what i was getting into, and mach3 is a bit more complex thn i anticipated, but when all is done i think this is going to work out well.

cant get pics to post...ill try again later

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »
pictures may be too large. there is a size limit I have forgotten what it is but i think the last ones I posted were at the upper limit.
This all sounds awsum I cannot wait for the photo's

archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine

Offline Telco

•  21 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
Im in deep here fellas, i have not had this thing to run correctly yet. The mechanical is all fine, but the computer has been nothing but problems from the beginning. I understood this was going to be a steep learning curve, but somthing is not right. if i follow the instructions sent by mach motion, it wont run. they are sick of me calling im sure. I have a nearly 10,000 $ pile of computer that is useless after two months of troubleshooting. Im no cpu genius, but ive studied more than enough and havent made a part yet. The problem with the the motion controller i was told was blown motion control chips, and that they have never seen that before...??? Was it my fault ??? it was my cost...  i set everything up according to their instructions from day 1, and with the tech support troubleshooting  once ththey found the blown motion control chips, i thought i would be in the clear.... so here i am, troubleshooting again all day today...basically i feel as soon as purchase was made i was patted on back as i was pushed out the door.... ??? somthing has to give..
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
I'm definitely no expert and haven't slept in a Holiday Inn Express but I'll bet'cha if you can describe what's going on (or not going on) succinctly, you will get it working with the help of the great guys here.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.