Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:36:58 AM

Author Topic: Special code for threading?  (Read 13363 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Special code for threading?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 06:11:42 PM »
Sorry "rcaffin" could you explain?
OK, let's start with some known FACTS:
1) Many of us with basic interfaces and mach3 are threading with G76 quite happily
2) It seems that the Vital interface does not work properly with Mach3.

In other words, introducing the Vital hardware stops the system from working. Terrry (BR549) summarised it quite nicely when he wrote ' trouble as the Hardware and software never seem to see it eye to eye '

This will turn on and off led 1370 at proper place.
I assume all you mach3 users don't use this function.
We do not even HAVE this function. But that is because we do not need it. Our systems work happily without it - but we are not using the Vital hardware. There's a message here somewhere.

I dare say the DSPMC unit works very well when you use their 'DSPMC .Net Managed Library for C#, C++, and VB'. I dare say the hardware does all it is meant to do. But the claim it is fully compatible with Mach3 clashes with the need to introduce kludges like the +20% and the m1370 macro.

Cheers
PS: I have been accused more than once of being blunt. Yup. I just haven't the time ...

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:23:32 PM by rcaffin »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
dresda,
Seems like you are are on your owne. I am not going to question a manufactures way of implementing their
controller as they are responsible for making their device work with Mach. I also think that they should provide
the specifics of how that is done and support you in your efforts to use that product. We can only give you what our experience entails. Quess I am just echoing what a few others have already said.

wish you luck,
RICH

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »
You are all right, and Hood, it's for a lathe, Rufi at vital said mill so now you know why I have to read between the lines all the time.
I thought Vital systems motion controller was a standard with Mach3 users and was a prooven unit.
I,m not comparing Mach to any other systems like fanuc, I think it's a great software for the price and that's why I am trying it out again.
Thanks for all your help.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 08:03:46 PM »
The thing that puzzles me is if you use a mill profile, I would assume you have a mill screen loaded. If that is the case then you should get an error thrown by Mach if you try to command a G76.
 I think the DSPMC is used by quite a lot of people but likely there are not as many using it on a lathe, in fact lathe users make up a very small proportion of Mach users no matter what controller, but its a growing number :)
Hood
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »

hood,

I use mach3mill for testing all the time and I made a mistake when I sent him the instructions and wrote mach3mill instead of mach3turn.

For lathe we had to keep the rpm 20% higher than programmed inside threading gcode to get correct threading data from mach3.  we use led 1370 to tell the plugin when to fake the rpm.  because as far as I know, there is no way to know what is the next gcode command.

hopefully mach4 will fix all that and we wont have to fake any rpm.

yes most users of dspmc use it on mill, but some including machmotion guys have used dspmc on many professional lathe systems.  I would say Andy must have done hundreds if not thousand of threading cycles to make sure it is working correctly with dspmc.

rgds
Rufi
www.vitalsystem.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 03:21:55 AM »
Rufi,
 thanks for coming back and clearing that up, it certainly puzzled me how a mill profile  could possibly work ;D

Are you using a single index pulse for threading?
  I have only used 2 types of external controllers on a lathe , Smoothstepper (USB and Ethernet) and CSMIO/IP-S. 
 The Smoothsteppers just uses the single index pulse,  nothing special is needed to be done for threading and it works very well and always has.
 The CSMIO uses full encoder feedback and it has its benefits as well as issues, it does work well for the most part, for example spindle speed can be varied and even stopped and it will stay on track (think grossly underpowered spindle)   but the pullout at the end of the thread is delayed and thus you get an annular groove being cut.
 This is a Mach issue in the way it sends info out and the CSMIO has to wait for that info which causes the delay. I have discovered recently through my testing that an earlier version of Mach did things better as the pullout was almost instant but as yet I have not got info on what has changed in Mach.
 Mach4 by all reports will be much improved with this regard, or at least I have been assured it will be by Steve ;D

Hood
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »
Hood,

DSPMC uses full encoder for threading feedback.  It modulates the Z feed with spindle RPM based on the encoder counts.  so if you slow or stop the spindle, the thread will still be correct.

I have not heard about any delayed pullout issue.  MAchmotion has done all the testing for DSPMC threading and they are also professional machinists.  Andy has not mentioned this kind of problem,  but I will check with him.

thanks
Rufi

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »
Would certainly be interesting to see if it does or does not have the delay. Both the CSMIO and the Galil had/have that issue.
I talked to Steve (Smurph) about it and he said they couldnt find a way to get it to act right with Mach3 but the good news is he will be making sure things are much improved in Mach4 :)
Look forward to what Andy has to say.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
Rufi, any word back on whether there is a delay or not  in threading pull out with the DSMPC?
Hood
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
well here is what Andy says: (copying the conversation without his approval :) hope he won't mind )

"I have never seen any issues with threading on the hicon or the DSPMC.
Oh, I think I know whats wrong.  He need to change how he programs the G76
the Q number is negative or zero.
10.7.18 Canned Cycle – Threading G76
Program G76 X~ Z~ Q~ P~ H~ I~ R~ K~ L~ C~ B~ T~ J~ to cut a complete thread.
X - XEnd
Z - ZEnd
Q -SpringPasses. (optional)
P - Pitch
H - Depth of first pass
I - Infeedangle
R - XStart (optional)
K - Z Start (optional)
L - Chamfer (optional)
C - X Clearance
B - Depth LastPass (optional)
T - Taper (optional)