Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:22:21 AM

Author Topic: Steppers No Work!  (Read 11723 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Re: Steppers No Work!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:55 AM »
Oh Dear!
Where is brain? I blame it on the extreme heat here at the moment 42degC today and its 9.30 pm and its still 39degC.
I went and quickly changed the settings and low and behold nothing, still no twinkle in those motors.
Maybe Peter can put some light on this with the jumper settings.
Strange even if the motors are getting a bit juice you would know but these are just stone cold dead.
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 05:31:26 AM »
Sounds like electrical issue right enough.
Hood

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 05:51:05 AM »
Many thanks for your help Hood, If I don't get anywhere with Peter, Ill have to just start replacing pieces, one by one. I know the steppers work as one of their brothers is on my router, the other two are new and where tested for a short while on a mill. Either the now the Geckos's or the Bob.
Now true Story just now my three children just bought down to me a little Gecko they caught in there bedroom, must of found its a way in somehow, I just released it outside. Could this be an OMEN!
Thanks Again
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 05:57:17 AM »
;D
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 06:25:28 AM »
Thanks So much Hood, You have helped me out more than I can count.
I tried a few other things changing the cables still nothing.here is my xml.

Hi Peter
Glad you have chimed in also. You are correct the top board is the inputs only and works well, the bottom board only controls the DC03 and the Geckos, I have tried the jumpers in all different configurations but still can not get movement. I am leaning toward a gecko problem maybe.
Where should I have the jumpers set to on the bottom board? I followed your PDF diagrams on your website. But if you remember back I had a bit of trouble getting the DC03 to work, but we nutted that one out.
Many thanks
Katoh

First thing is that you absolutely need to have the common jumper set to 0V.

What is happening with the leds on the MB-02 board when you jog at a rapid rate or run a program. Do the leds for the DIR lines turn on or off with changes in direction.
Do the leds for the step lines glow as the jogging is executed?

This will indicate if the signals are reaching the Geckos

Cheers,

Peter

----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 06:30:37 AM »
Many thanks for your help Hood, If I don't get anywhere with Peter, Ill have to just start replacing pieces, one by one. I know the steppers work as one of their brothers is on my router, the other two are new and where tested for a short while on a mill. Either the now the Geckos's or the Bob.
Now true Story just now my three children just bought down to me a little Gecko they caught in there bedroom, must of found its a way in somehow, I just released it outside. Could this be an OMEN!
Thanks Again
Katoh

Oh Dear!
Where is brain? I blame it on the extreme heat here at the moment 42degC today and its 9.30 pm and its still 39degC.
I went and quickly changed the settings and low and behold nothing, still no twinkle in those motors.
Maybe Peter can put some light on this with the jumper settings.
Strange even if the motors are getting a bit juice you would know but these are just stone cold dead.
Cheers
Katoh

Do the motors "lock" when power is applied? If not the drive is not enabled.

What are you doing with the G203V disable line. It need to be disconnected or at 0V for the drive to be enabled.

Cheers,

Peter
Homann Designs

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 07:29:46 AM »
Hi Peter
How is the weather down your way? Still stinking hot here!
I have no motor activity whatsoever, Locking, movement, not even  a little heat or a hum. I don't understand it. I don't think its your board but until I substitute  I can not be sure. OTPO has a spare board the same, I might go and borrow his for a test session.
I read through the manual again and changed all the jumpers to 0v, I will attach a pic to make sure  I'm on the right track, still nothing changing the settings in Mach, does not work either. Can not see me having 3 Bad Gecko's or can I?
I Disconnected the disable wire first up, unless it needs to be connected? My G204's all 6 of them run happy without it.
Many Thanks
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
Steppers No Work!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 09:06:09 AM »
This may be waaaay off base but after weeks of my own trial and errors trying to get Mach to move my motors, I discovered this which I found no previous forum or manual information on: The power supply to the driver card (in my case at least) must come from the PC. Otherwise, the step and direction logic (again in my case) doesn't work.

For clarity, I was converting an old Microkinetics SuperDrive setup that runs a Torchmate plasma cutting machine I built ten plus years ago. The SuperDrive case contains a 32v power supply plus a 5v power source which did go to the two Microkinetics DM4050 stepper driver cards as well as a dedicated 8bit ISA card in my antique PC. Took me a long time to figure out that the motion controller cards needed to see 5v from the PC in order to see the change in voltages on the step and direction pins from the parallel port. As soon as I changed where the driver board got its + 5v, the stepper motors came alive and I fell in love with the Mach 3 system.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Hi Peter
How is the weather down your way? Still stinking hot here!
I have no motor activity whatsoever, Locking, movement, not even  a little heat or a hum. I don't understand it. I don't think its your board but until I substitute  I can not be sure. OTPO has a spare board the same, I might go and borrow his for a test session.
I read through the manual again and changed all the jumpers to 0v, I will attach a pic to make sure  I'm on the right track, still nothing changing the settings in Mach, does not work either. Can not see me having 3 Bad Gecko's or can I?
I Disconnected the disable wire first up, unless it needs to be connected? My G204's all 6 of them run happy without it.
Many Thanks
Katoh

Hi Katoh,

If you supply the drives with 48V and have the disable not connected, and the motors do not lock, then my guess is that you have blown the fuse in the G203V

I don't think there is anything else it can be.

With power applied to the drives, the motors must lock if the drive is not disabled. In the drive there is a replaceable fuse. It looks like a green resistor.

Check it with a multimeter to see it is not blown.

Cheers,

Peter
Homann Designs
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
This may be waaaay off base but after weeks of my own trial and errors trying to get Mach to move my motors, I discovered this which I found no previous forum or manual information on: The power supply to the driver card (in my case at least) must come from the PC. Otherwise, the step and direction logic (again in my case) doesn't work.

For clarity, I was converting an old Microkinetics SuperDrive setup that runs a Torchmate plasma cutting machine I built ten plus years ago. The SuperDrive case contains a 32v power supply plus a 5v power source which did go to the two Microkinetics DM4050 stepper driver cards as well as a dedicated 8bit ISA card in my antique PC. Took me a long time to figure out that the motion controller cards needed to see 5v from the PC in order to see the change in voltages on the step and direction pins from the parallel port. As soon as I changed where the driver board got its + 5v, the stepper motors came alive and I fell in love with the Mach 3 system.

You can use a separate 5V power supply as long as the 0V for the separate supply connects to the PC 0V accessable on the pins 18-25 of the PC parallel port.

Cheers,

Peter
Homann Designs