Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:01:54 AM

Author Topic: Changing computers  (Read 11199 times)

Changing computers
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:50:43 AM »
Ok I have asked this question before, but this time it with a different twist. My Dell 2400 computer has finally given up. So I've bought a second-hand Dell 2400 off Ebay (rather than go down the 64bit-32bit problem), same model but a better upgrade. To reinstall Mach and all my setting on the new computer do I re-download Mach3 off the web, use the loader to create a mill application, then inset my Licence and Xml file which I have backed up on a memory stick before the computer failure. Can someone give me a step by set guide to make sure I get the Xml and licence in the correct place, over to you Hood my man. Will my machine work with these new setup or do I have to do anymore alteration. Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Changing computers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
Download and install Mach as you said. You dont need to choose to make a profile as you already have the xml. Once Mach is installed and the computer has rebooted then just copy your licence and xml to the folder you have just installed Mach to, suggest you let Mach install to the default C:\Mach3
The correct xml will have the name of the profile you are using currently, to see what that is, open Mach and look lower right at the profile name then look for a file in the Mach3 folder with that name and a xml file extension.
The Licence file will also be in your Mach3 folder and it is called Mach1Lic.dat.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
Cheers Hood. Will do tomorrow, snow permitting. Jim
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
I too recently changed computers, but my problem is different- I lost my xbox control of mach3. now when i click on configure xbox plugin i get an error message" artcode 9991" and mach3 crashes.- worked fine on last computer- until computer died. Still using same version mach3 too. (.40) any help welcome- i really liked using the xbox control :(
your work is your signature, sign with excellence.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:01:46 AM »
tried deleting the plugin and rei-downloading it?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
yes, this was the first thing i tried.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
Try changing the plugin folders name to OldPlugins then create a new plugins folder with only the shuttle plugin and see if that works.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
 :) Thanks Hood,
         I did as you suggested and the shuttle pro plugin came up, so.... I added the xbox360 plugin to the folder, removed the shuttle pro plugin, and restarted mach3. It found the controller and then I re-configured the setup. Now it all works again- and I'm putting the 15 lb sledgehammer back in the garage. My cnc world is once again in harmony ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:58:02 AM »
Glad it helped :)
Hood
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:11:45 AM »
Hi Hood doing something wrong, cant get the xml file in. Because my secondhand computer hasn't go an internet connection I had to do the following.
Downloaded the Mach3 software in the house on my home computer , then burnt it onto a disk and put my licence and xml files onto the disk (not min the mach folder but as seperate files. I then went down the workshop and loaded the new Mach software onto the workshop computer
I then loaded the licence and the Xml files into the computer.
When I run mach3 I think its got the licence because in the bottom corner of the screen it no longer says demo, however when I look at the config menu it does not seem to  have loaded any of the ports and pins tick boxes, etc.
Any suggestions, I have paper records of the config stetting so could load them all in by hand.
The only bit of the set up I might have got wrong is when one of the the first screen of the set up asks me if I want to create a port driver I left the tick box ticked (although it said it was not needed for external motion drivers) what does that mean. Sorry to be a pain but you know I'm a mechanical  engineer not a computer whizz kid, I put oil in or give it a belt with a hammer if things dont work mechanically, but I'm lost on computers. Jim