Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:09:59 AM

Author Topic: DRO works, motor does not  (Read 7770 times)

Offline Pico

•  35 35
    • View Profile
DRO works, motor does not
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »
I have installed a 4th axis motor to be used as an extruder, converting to a 3d printer. The controller is  Hobbycnc , which works fine, but I cannot get the 4th axis motor to work. The DRO and hot keys move but the motor does not. The motor is getting hot, so it's getting current but is too hot to the touch, so I think it is wired incorrectly. The motor is a Sanyo 2 phase stepper 103H5208-10U41 nema 17. Any ideas about how I can solve this problem? Thanks,    Pico
Re: DRO works, motor does not
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »
if the motor is getting too hot, turn the vref down.  Maybe your running too high of current for it. the dro moving and the motor not, kinda tells me you dont have the pins correctly defined for that axis, or the signal isnt getting to it.

John

Offline Pico

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I reduced the Vref to half of the other motors, which were twice as large and the temperature is about the same as them. I found a mistake in the ports and pins menu, I swapped the step pins and ports values. Now they are correct: A step =pin 9, A Dir= pin 8 and step and dir port both = 1. Still no movement in the motor. Back tto fiddling around with the wiring to the terminal.    Pico

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:24:12 PM »
To make sure its not still ports and pins issues set the X axis to the same ones as the 4th and vice versa and see if the X still works and 4th still doesnt.
Hood

Offline Pico

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
Good idea. I swapped the Z and A axis values out and was able to jog the Z axis with the A axis but not the other way. So must be something, possibly how I wired the 4th axis conversion. I look at that tomorrow. However, I changed the values back and now I can't jog at all, the resume and jog off/ on is green. Any ideas? Sometimes this thing drives me nutz. Thanks,   Pico

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:33:57 AM »
Can only think you have not set them back correctly.
Do the DROs still move?
Hood

Offline Pico

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 08:00:11 AM »
DROs work and now it jogs, after turning off and on. I am going to look to see it I made any solder bridges when building the kit, also looking at motor to terminal connections. Thanks,    Pico

Offline Pico

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
I am attempting to make certain my motor to terminal connections are correct. I have tried many combinations and not gotten it right yet. One problem is that data on the stepper motor, a Sanyo Denki 103H5208-10U41 is lacking. What is the A,A com, a and B, B com, and b ? Here is an image of the colors of the leads from the motor. Thanks,   Pico
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:15:41 PM »
Maybe this will help, link to data sheet on that motor

http://www.interinar.com/public_docs/Sanyo_Denki_103H5208-10U41.pdf

That says its a 1.2 amp motor so adjust your vref accordingly.

The black and white wires are the commons. so they both go to the COM terminal, A and a , B and b are for the separate coils, only trying will get it right but you could use Orange and Blue as your A and a and Red and Yellow as your B and b. 

John
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:21:01 PM by woodspinner »

Offline Pico

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »
I've seen the spec sheet. I have connected the A motor leads to the Z axis terminal. Orange to A white to common,blue to a, red to B, black to common, yellow to b. Although Z works fine, it can't move the A motor. I have checked the amperage between leads, it is 5.7 between orange and blue ends, with 3.7 between blue end and white common, and 4.7 between orange end and white common. On the B side, it was 4.7 between yellow and red ends and 1.3 between yellow end and black common and 3.7 between red end and black common. The amperage on that motor is adjusted a bit below 1. Thanks,   Pico