Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:17:38 PM

Author Topic: mach3 lathe homing and help  (Read 8109 times)

mach3 lathe homing and help
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:11:41 PM »
Hi All,
Hope you can help, I have a boxford 240 cnc lathe(slant bed) i have just converted to mach3 everything went well, but i have a few questions.
When i try to home the axis nothing happens when I press home all. The limit switches all work fine show up on the diagnostic screen, cant work it out.
Also some basics, jogging i press right arrow key z axis moves right dro moves + and opposite for left i think this is correct.
The x i think is wrong i push up arrow x axis moves up but dro moves - i am confused my lathe shows z+ right and x+ up.
is this something to do with the toolpost being on the rear?

Thanks for any help

john

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: mach3 lathe homing and help
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »
The standard Turn screen is a funny beast and one I do not care for I am afraid. If I recall the Home All button does not actually make the axis reference, for that you press Set X Home and Set Z home. There is nothing to stop you however from altering the screenset in one of the screen designers and making the Home All button a VB button and putting the standard VB code in it so it acts like you would expect if used to Mill.
I went the whole hog and made a new screenset up that resembled my Mill screensets and thus I was more familiar with it and it made more sense to me.

Regarding the axis, You are correct in the directions but as far as Mach is concerned you have the axis moving the wrong way. You need to change the Dir pins active state for the X axis. You then also need to re-assign the Arrow keys on the keyboard from Config menu then System Hotkeys, just click X++ and then press Up arrow and X-- and down arrow.
You can also set Mach to show the toolpath above as per my screenshot, that is done via the Config menu then Toolpath, just choose show tool path above centre line.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
Thanks hood
I will try your settings tomorrow and let you know
I did try the x and z home buttons as well but didn't work but I will check again tomorrow
Is your screen available might work better
Thanks again
John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »
Just looked at the standard screenset and the actual name of the buttons are Set Home X and Set Home Z.  I have also just tested and they do seem to do as I mentioned.
Regarding my screenset, they are quite a bit customised to each of my lathes so it may not work well for you but I can probably modify the VB buttons that may cause you issues and let you try it out. It would be better however. if you thought it was going to work for you, to  then modify it to suit your machine. That could be done in one of the screen designers and is relatively straight forward, especially as I dont use back ground bitmaps, it means I can place buttons anywhere and  makes altering simple and quick for different machines.
 If you want to give it a go I can attach the button files and the screenset here.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:33:33 AM »
Hi Hood,
You were correct i was pushing the wrong button, DOHH ::) i knew you would be correct. all works perfect now.
all axes jog the correct way and match up with the dro. and machine homes to top right corner perfect.
I even managed to get the vfd to work with variable speed inputs from mach3, just need to wire in the index sensor now and i think nearly there.
Thanks again hood top man.

On a mechanical note does anyone know much about the boxford 240? mine seems to have a lot of backlash, any way of solving this apart from new ball screws.

Thanks
John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:47:14 AM »
Not really pushing the wrong buttons, its just Mach Turn is set up default for a front toolpost setup so you have to alter for a rear setup lathe :)

Regarding the backlash, check the bearings and mounts are all tight. I dont have a boxford so not really sure of the actual setup but they are all basically the same, just different ;D

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 06:51:22 AM »
You may be able to make adjustments, not familar with the that lathe. Backlash could be due to number of things like a worn screw or bearing preload etc. If the screw is worn best to replace it. You could use backlash compensation but preferable to eliminate the problem.
RICH
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 05:20:22 AM »
I have just built a mini-lathe, and I am also having issues with Mach 3 turn screens and homing. In fact, I also don't like the manual and auto screen. In contrast, my mill works perfectly with the mill screenset.

But if I load the mill screen instead of lathe, homing works properly.

If the offer is still open, is there any chance of a copy of your screenset Hood, it looks perfect? I am quite happy to do some modifications if required, as I am a reasonable programmer.

Here is a link to my lathe so far:

www.cncprojects.net

Rob
Sydney
Rob
Sydney, Australia

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 06:35:03 AM »
In fact, I also don't like the manual and auto screen

A lot of folks tend to echo that comment. Not  many lathe screen sets to be found so I also have done one which is basically done but  still testing/ tweaking /
checking it out running Version 3.042.062. Hope to post it in the near future.

It's uses a single page screen for set-up / running and a single page for tool set-up. But it is loaded with all kinds of features. So it's a hobby screen by other folks
definition of what a screen set should have.

I also use a quick change tool holder thus the tool setup page provides options for tool setup. It does however provide for lathe center finding and populating
the tool table via probing.

For your info, whenever the screen get's posted.  ;)

RICH  

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 06:58:28 AM »
Thanks Rich, I will watch for it!

Rob.
Rob
Sydney, Australia