Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:12:44 PM

Author Topic: Mystery Motor Loss  (Read 2814 times)

Mystery Motor Loss
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »
I am running Mach3 with the CandCNC MP3000 and DTHC (not running plasma / DTHC yet) and Gecko 540 driver. I have only had it up and running G code for a couple days. I have gotten this strange loss of motor function a few times so far. I have been running test files and moving the axes by entering GCode manually. Several times the motion has stopped, but the DRO's keep moving. I don't see any fault indicators. Reset is not blinking. When this happens it seems like I need to exit Mach or even restart the computer and Mach and then things will work fine. What is / what could be happening?
Thanks,
Roger

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Motor Loss
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:06:35 AM »
What kind of motors, ie steppers or servos?
If Servos then possibly your servo drive is faulting.
If steppers possibly the motor is stalling, does it squeal?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
Steppers. No squeal. Motors all stop moving but DRO's continue to indicate movement.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »
As the DROs show motion is continueing then it would suggest it is an issue from the parallel port out. Do you have a scope that you could use to see if the port is outputting after the axis stop?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
No scope, but I have a CandCNC diagnostic window that has a port pin activity display. Maybe I can try that next time it happens. Thanks!