Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:45:11 AM

Author Topic: Wireless USB Modem  (Read 12533 times)

Wireless USB Modem
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
Ok Folks, here is an easy one .... maybe.

I am at the end of a dirt road, in the mountains and stuck on dial-up. Satellite is an option but not affordable right now.

One other option I'm considering is a Data plan with a wireless cell provider.

My brother loaned me a little USB modem that plugs into the laptop. While inside my home or shop, the signal is very poor to poor and hardly works at all ... but does a little.
If I carry the pc out around the yard, the signal strength goes up to Med on occasion but is usually around Poor. This isn't much faster than my dialup though (on average).

I think I might be able to get a steady MED signal if I were to mount the modem on a pole (20' maybe ?) if so, This would be fast enough for me (10x current) and priced right.
Question is: will a 30'+ USB cable work ? ? or could it be converted to Cat5 ? ? ?  Ethernet ? ? ? Is this idea worthwhile ?
Weather proofing isn't a problem ... afaik.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Russ
Re: Wireless USB Modem
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:09 PM »
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=7533&seq=1&format=3#specification

Do you know if this would work w/a cell signal ? Looks like it might be what I need ?

Also see Cat 5 & 6 converters but I guess there would be 2 .. one at each end ? ? ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-CAT5e-CAT6e-RJ45-LAN-Modem-XBOX-Extension-Extender-Adapter-Cable-Lead-/121014983641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2d0e1bd9

Not sure.
Any help at all, appreciated.
Thanks
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to ALL ! ! !
Russ
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:55:55 PM by Overloaded »
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
I have used a usb a extender on a webcam to keep an eye on the cutter from my office, it worked fine for that. However it was removed along with 300 others from sites because they were
unreliable before i got it.

Another option could be a dongle with a aerial socket and put the aerial up the pole.

Or a 3G/wifi router  http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers.htm

Or a Iphone / smartphone with tethering ?

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
Russ,
I use a wireless USB modem on the pc in the basement and the router is 2 floors up  and have no problems.
The modem is rather restricted in how far it can send a signal. Rather limited in power and some of them have better range than others. Now the router is rather limited in it's reception also.

You can increase the range of some of the modems by making a very simple more directional attenna.
Since it's rather line of sight you may be able to point it in the right direction and having it off the ground will help avoid line of sight abstructions.

How far / long can the line be?..........well it depends on the signal loss thru the wire and the power gain of the attenna.
Can be tweaked and measured but doubt you have the stuff to analyze. Know any ham operators in your neck of the woods
as they could probably help you out.

I need to ask my friend and get a lnk to the how to do it.

No cost just some Al wrap and cardboard. It'll be a few days before I post the info.

RICH
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 06:41:11 PM by RICH »
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 07:11:02 PM »
Good tips guys, thanks.
 I like the idea of an antenna bb, never thought of that. They are on the site you linked.

Hey Rich, this modem I tried does not use a router, it gets the signal directly from the cell towers. If I'm explaining it right.
If I used a regular router, I would still have to receive the cell signal for the router.  Unless the router is wireless and is compatible with the cell service ? ? ?
I am researching as I go along, this is new to me.

Ideally, an external (outdoor) antenna and cable to the modem at the router, then wireless to the PC's sounds great. If that's doable ? ? ? Guessing ?
Thanks again to you both,
Russ
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 07:27:56 PM »
not sure, but it looks like this might be what I'm needing.
http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-antenna-outdoor.htm  from bb's link. This should receive the signal from the cell ? Then some sort of cable to connect to a modem that is compatible with the cell company, then to the router/PC.  ? ? ?> Stopping by the cell co. when they reopen.
Hmmm .... headscratchin'
Thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 08:33:53 AM »
Russ,
The router sends and recieves signals.  So it acts as a transciever which is a radio which can transmit and also recieve signals.
The router is designed to operate best in a range of frequencies. The antenna is also deisgned for the same range of frequencies
and can enhance both an incoming signal and outgoing signal and that is expressed in terms of its gain. 3db doubles or reduces
the signal power. By "deisgned for", the antenna can take those electrical signals  in a certain range of frequencies and enhance them and same goes for the router. The router has internal circuitry to accept and reject  signals not in its range of frequencies
so it filters outs the signals.

So if you point the antenna at the cell tower you'll get the best transmissioin and recieve to and from the routers antenna.
Just like what you do for an old TV that uses an antenna. Comunication towers can have a beam width angle of only 1 degree.
Thus antennas have transmit recieve and gain, more sensitivity to certain signals, and can be more directional and that depends the type of antenna.

The signal from the router has a very low power level, mw ( milli watts ). The line connecting the router to the antenna
will cause signal loss. Since you don't have much power you want to minimise that loss and as such you want to use an
appropriate cable for the range of frequencies it will transmit. The antenna will then increase that signal to the cell tower.

The less abstruction in the path of the signal the better the electrical wave can travel. So mount the antenna on your pole
above ground with the cable from the antenna to the router inside. The PC wireless USB adapter can then be used by any computer to communicate with the router. Another way is to run cable to the router from the pc.

Tried to keep this very generic and not get techie about anything.

Hope this helps,
BTW, Merry Christmas :)
RICH

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:36:02 AM by RICH »
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »
That makes good sense Rich, and your verbiage is clearly understood. Thanks for bumping it down a notch for me.
I have searched a bit but do not see what I think I am needing.

1. I assume that I MUST use the wireless MODEM from the provider, ( EW ESS SELLYOULAR in this case).
      From what I'm seeing, this MODEM would plug into the ROUTERr and does the receiving, not the router.
2. Then the router transmits that signal received by the MODEM around the house.

3. From your description, I'm seeing a wireless router, with an EXTERNAL outdoor remotely mounted receiving antenna via cable on a pole that is compatible with the providers system. This would negate the use of their modem ? Or, where would their modem be used in your example.

4. I see plenty of routers that either require a DSL or wireless MODEM input, but none with a built in wireless modem that will work with thw above mentione provider.

If you see one, could you please post a link with more info ? maybe a diagram ?

Forgive me if I'm missing the obvious, I'm like Walsh ... an ANALOG man.

Thanks Rich, Have a MERRY one ... CHRISTmas, that is.
Regards,
Russ
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »

Another option could be a dongle with a aerial socket and put the aerial up the pole.

There is a cool booster antenna on the site that looks like it would work well "if" I could use a longer USB cable. But. It requires a SIM card and the card is NOT removable from the providers modem. And, it says this is not to be used with a router.

Still searching .... Thanks again bb,
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »
Russ,
Correct.The MODEM recieves the providers signals. Sorry about my description. And since you are using an exsting old phone line
system and not cable then the rate of transmission over the phone line is painfully slow. Talk to your provider since you want a modem that
will be using an external antenna instead of a land line.  They will know what can or can't be provided and what you can expect. If you lease it from them, then if the result is unsatisfactory,you can return it. Additioinaly  the technician can set the modem up for you plus you are using their provided software.

The modem is connected to the router via a cable. The router is also wireless and has a small antenna which transmits to the USB device at the computer or you may have a newer computer with one built in. ( similar to  using a wireless mouse). The connect range to the router is usualy lower than an external one. Netgear sells wireless routers for example and may come with a USB device. The router is set up such that only your computers can tie into the router. Range could be up to say 150 feet. You also use software provided with the router.

. From your description, I'm seeing a wireless router, with an EXTERNAL outdoor remotely mounted receiving antenna via cable on a pole that is compatible with the providers system. This would negate the use of their modem ? Or, where would their modem be used in your example.

See above.

RICH