Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:37:06 AM

Author Topic: Testing parallel port output with a multimeter  (Read 13546 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Testing parallel port output with a multimeter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »
Cristobal,
    That is all you will see with a meter. You would need a scope to see the varying signals I would think.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:22:57 PM »
I was working with another program before and the voltage would change between 0v and 5v as I changed directions.  I assumed that would be the same here.  Maybe not.  If not I'll stop worrying about it.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 12:29:22 PM »
It all depends on how you have things set up. But yes, you should see the change with the meter from 0-5v I would think. There was no attachment with the post you tried to put your xml in. :( I have attached mine for you to look at.

Brett

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 12:38:19 PM »
Trying to post the xml again
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »
You should see changes on the direction pins. I just checked my breakout board, and the direction pins change state when direction is reversed...and they stay at that level until another direction change.

You won't see the step signals with a multimeter, though. They are much too narrow. You'd need an oscilloscope for that.

FWIW, I'd guess your Parallel Port I/O address is not set correctly if everything else is working.  It might be wise to review the installation section of the manual and the installation video and play around with your Parallel Port description in the config tab.

Hang in there...it took me quite a while to get my Mach I/O running correctly...and I'm a long-time Computer Design EE in my day job! There are a large number of factors involved...and sometimes a bit of guesswork. I found the manual and email from Art Fenerty extremely helpful.

Getting two very simple pieces of equipment to talk to each other can often be very trying.  There's an old EE saying about Serial COM port hookups, "It always seems to take three hours to hook up three wires!"

Good Luck!
There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 01:12:12 PM »
Ok here's a question-  I go to my device manager and click on the port I want to use.  Under the "port settings" tab it gives three choices- 1) try not to use an interrupt
2) Never use an interrupt and 3) Use any interrupt assigned to the port.  Which one do I want?  Any ideas?  BTW Thanks for all your help (or at least encouragement) so far.  It is appreciated.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks Patmul. You said that much better.

Cristobal,
     I see you have two parallel ports. Are you sure you have the right address and pluged into the right one? Try changing the active low on your e-stop in config, ports and pins, input signals.

Brett

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 01:17:04 PM »
I used the "use any interrupt assigned" selection successfully.

I'm not positive it matters for MACH as it's not mentioned in the docs. But, multi-threaded systems (like WinXP) need interrupts to function efficiently.
There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 01:20:30 PM »
Mine are set to never use an interrupt.

Brett

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 01:25:16 PM »
I changed the active low on my estop but now it gives me "external estop requested" and I can't do anything.