Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:39:04 AM

Author Topic: What external motion controller do I choose?  (Read 30633 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: What external motion controller do I choose?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »
I have been running Win7-64 and Mach for more than a year and have never had the problem you describe. I have lots of customers running the same combination and have not heard of this issue. My guess is that there is some hardware or driver issue on your PC, there have been a few similar issues reported with Mach and XP over the years so I don't think it is Win7-64 specific. Anytime I've had a customer with a really strange Mach/PC problem reinstalling Windows from scratch has taken care of it. A lot of guys will get a hold of an older PC that has had a lot of carp installed/removed over the years, even a new PC comes with a load of crap installed.

Just some ideas to look at...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »
Excellent Jeff.

A clean Win 7 64 install with an external motion controller sounds like the way to go - when the time for new hardware comes. As for now for testing with my old XP machine will have to do (until XP support is ended from Microsoft's side). I am a beginner when it comes to CNC machines for milling so that's where the majority of the learning activity will happen for me. Pc's I know something about.

I see you mention in an earlier post on this thread that you have a machine with touch: is a touch equipped monitor a "must" for operating Mach 3 efficiently?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »
A touch screen is not a necessity but it is very nice. To get the most from a touch screen you really need a screen set that is made for touch use. That standard Mach touch screen is rather lousy for touch purposes. Once you get used to running Mach with a touch screen it feels really natural. I find myself pressing the 'Start' button on the screen all the time on machines without touch screens, it just seems like the thing you should do.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »
OK Jeff. I will give it a try without a touch screen at first. I have a newer 24"  monitor with LED backlight that I intend to use. Thanks for clarifying the touch issue.
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 04:08:05 AM »
OK thanks to all ppl that answered my questions.

My conclusion is that when time comes to go to Win 7 64 bit, it will be possible to run. I will need an external motion controller.  The motion controller will likely be controlled via Ethernet. Win 7 will be installed from scratch and I will not rely on a pre-installed version of Win 7 that may have ad-ware and other trash included.
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 06:36:33 PM »
Mike...don't know if this is too late...I'm running Mach 3 on a Windows 7/64 bit computer with no problems at all, and I'm using a UC-100 USB motion controller with no problems at all...I did this because my XPERIA machine decided to die, and I had a W/7 computer available to me... The motion controller plugs into the computer with a USB and to my break-out with a DB-25 (same as old printer cable)...my router runs smoother and faster (only had to retune the motors and install the plugin available from the maker...hope this helps
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 11:12:12 PM »
since the solid-works2017 , masterCAM2017 are all 64 bit, I am looking  for all in one machine  even for complex parts CAD-CAM-CNC  I cannot find mastercam V9 to download, As post processer available for masterCAM V9 only.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
Hi,
Mastercam , any version, is a commercial product and a very very good one, probably the oldest and most expensive CAM programs. If you can afford
Mastercam you can afford as many computers as you can eat!

Mach is a near clone of Fanuc so most Fanuc posts work for Mach as well. There is a Mach post written for X5 but would still work for X9 at a guess.
A search of the forum should find it, CNCZone is worth a look too.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'