Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:44:49 AM

Author Topic: What external motion controller do I choose?  (Read 30634 times)

Re: What external motion controller do I choose?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »
Mike, i appreciate your feelings about an outdated os and keeping the same system on all machines. But, you won't see the os on a working pc and there will always be a version of xp available from somewhere, even if it's only a set of working codes to register.

XP is proven to be exceptionally effective as an os for Mach3, and you're not going to get any infection or security issue as the computer would not be internet connected....or would it.?

Let's hope that win 7 becomes the next xp, but atm xp seems to dominate.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
Hi Angel Tech. I agree that XP is a good and stable OS. I have been using XP since it were launched.

I am sure there will be an XP available, however it depends on your policy towards supported or not supported OS'es. Who uses Win 98 and NT nowadays by the way? ... The CNC computer will likely be internet connected and I will probably use ethernet to transfer NC files from other computers to it.

OK, let's stick to the subject: What external motion controller do I select?  :)
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:54:21 PM »
just one more point, internet connection....why.?
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »
I will answer you when you tell me what external motion controller to use! :)
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »
lol, whichever one suits your needs.

smooth stepper seems to be backed up well

ethernet version.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:59:24 PM by angel tech »
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
Hi Mike, CS-Labs for me.
..... if the good reviews continue.
Plan to purchase in April.
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
I thought that W7 allowed one to boot-up on a different drive so one could have XP installed also on a different drive or partition. So if you wanted, you could have two worlds to play with. Different formating of the partitioned drives, not sure about that.

but why would I want to go to an old OS if I don't have to?
Because it works and is reliable with current Mach. One can select the time frame to change.

By the time a new user figures out just what they really need to do what they want with their machine there will probably be another Windows version out.....another external motion controller ..........another whatever.......

Heck, anybody figured out how to use a DOS batch file to get Mach working, and better yet how to keep my tape drive from
slowing down. ;)

Maybe it's time to upgrade....... :)
RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »
YES you can start MAch3 from a DOS Batch file AND your tape drive is missing steps, lower the accel rate.

(;-) TP

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
One thing we've noticed with Win7 64 bit is that about 1 out of 3 times I start Mach3 it opens with a fatal error and shuts down.  This doesn't happen on Win7 32 bit or WinXP.  I really like Win7 embedded 32 bit.  It's a stripped down, lean and mean version of Win7 with all the stuff you need and none of the garbage.