Hello Guest it is September 22, 2019, 07:08:27 AM

Author Topic: Boxford AUD stepper sizes  (Read 2488 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Boxford AUD stepper sizes
« on: November 29, 2012, 04:32:11 AM »
Hi guys,

When I've got the Bridgeport up and running my next project will be the Boxford lathe.  I've had a look in the section about 'your machines', had a look at Hood's ML10 based lathe already.  So far not found the info I'm after.  What would be a recommended size of stepper for the X and Z axis?  I'm guessing that the Nema 34 8.5Nm steppers I'm using on the mill are well overkill...especially for the X axis, not to mention the bulk, Z perhaps it would be ok, afterall thats where the majority of the cutting load would be.

Can anyone suggest suitables?  The current leadscrews are 3/4" for the Z and 7/16" for the X, (doubt they're metric) I was originally intending using them to start with, using the half nuts for the Z movement as there's next to no wear in them.  Ultimatly they would be replaced with ballscrews.
Re: Boxford AUD stepper sizes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:24:09 AM »
I think the AUD is about the same size as the Myford 7?  I have used Nema 23 motors from Arc Eurotrade - I think 180 Ncm - and there is no sign that they lack torque for the job.  Will check exact type when I get back in the workshop.
Re: Boxford AUD stepper sizes
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:25:50 AM »
It is about the same size yes.  Lacks the top speed of the Myford which can be a drawback, but does seem to have a lot more grunt than the Myford for tackling large tough castings....certainly more than my friends Super7conessieur
Re: Boxford AUD stepper sizes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:31:29 AM »
i've got an AUD waiting in the wings for a cnc conversion, it looks pretty easy to convert.
Re: Boxford AUD stepper sizes
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:54:23 AM »
My plan is to put the Z axis motor behind the headstock.  Mine is an underdriven version so I've room to do it.  Don't know if there's space on a bench mounted version.  The Z axis leadscrew should be easy to change then, using the old tailstock end bearing housing, and slightly modifying the headstock end to provide thrust faces.  The front of the saddle also seperates from the top, so construction of a new one with the ballnut on, and a mounting for the X axis stepper given a short enough stepper, should be a doddle.